Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tending The Soil

I had another thought this morning concerning the example I gave yesterday about the growth and health of my zucchini plants.  Colossians 2:10 states that “God has made you complete in Christ…” (God’s Word ©)  Everything we ever need to succeed in this life is available in Christ, just as everything that my zucchini plants need to flourish is dependent upon the soil in which it is planted.  But the soil, no matter how good it is, will not work itself… it needs regular tending from the gardener.

It would do me little good to place my nursery grown seedlings into the best garden soil available and then walk away and forget about them.  It would be ludicrous for me (especially where we live where there is minimal rainfall during the warm summer months) to expect to receive a harvest if I did not regularly water the plants, turn the soil, pull the weeds and remove any dead growth on the plants.  If I did nothing more after planting the seedlings, I would receive nothing more than some dried out twigs.
The same could be said about our Christian walk.  If, after becoming a Christian, I did nothing else to cultivate my faith in the knowledge and understanding of God’s Word, I would end up becoming a dry and useless branch on Jesus’ vine. (See John 15:6)  As a gardener needs to consistently tend to the soil in his garden, the Christian needs to tend to the good soil that is found in Jesus.
How do we do this?  Well, we accomplish our spiritual gardening by attending church, by spending time with Jesus in His Word, staying in communication with the Father in prayer, and in regular fellowship with other Believers.  And the great thing about working in His garden in this manner, is that you don’t normally get grimy hands and dirt packed under your fingernails!  Even though I love to putter around in the garden in my backyard, I must admit that I almost always where gloves as I don’t like to get my hands dirty!  Strange Huh???
I spent about an hour caring for our fledging garden yesterday as I watered the potted vegetables, pulled weeds, trimmed the overgrowth of the tree that was beginning to shade a large portion of our yard along with the roses and other plants under it, and then swept the patio.  Today as I look out the window it is refreshing and rewarding to see the aftereffects of my labor.  There still is a pile of leaves that needs to be bagged and tossed, but everything else just looks green, fresh and healthy.  That’s what I desire of my daily walk with the Lord (not to be green…).  I desire each day to not only be fresh, but also to enjoy a healthy experience as I walk hand in hand with the Master!  And I have come to expect that as I spend each morning with Him in His Word and in prayer.
Ah… Life is good when it is firmly rooted in Christ.  That is where we find everything we need to be complete.  Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What Good Things am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.