Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 16, 2013

FIRE!

Jesus told His disciples, “I came to send fire on the earth.  And how I wish it were already kindled.” (Luke 12:49 NKJV) 

Over the centuries many commentators have given differing explanations as to the fire that Jesus so longed to arrive on man’s home planet.  I believe that He was first and foremost talking about the fire that He desired to baptize His followers with!  I believe that Jesus knew that once the Holy Spirit stoked fire caught hold in the life of a believer that it would rapidly spread across the land. Yes it would cause dissention in many a people’s lives as they were forced to look inside and decide on what the truth is, but it would end up turning the world upside down with the revelation of God’s love for mankind through the atonement of Jesus on the cross of Calvary.
Throughout His earthly existence Jesus set the example for us to follow.  Wesley L. Duewel in his book “Ablaze For God” declared that “Zeal for accomplishing God the Father’s purpose was burning in Jesus like an unquenchable fire.” (Ablaze For God, Francis Asbury Press 1989)  It is that same fire that He wants for us to carry and spread throughout our daily lives with our families, our friends, our jobs, our neighborhoods, our schools, on our vacations, and even in the Mall.
Jesus is calling us to be ablaze with the fire of His love and with a passion for souls.  I once read of Benjamin Franklin who confessed that he often went to hear the great evangelist George Whitefield speak because he could watch him burn before his very eyes.  Is that what people see when they observe your words and actions?  Over the years I have received numerous positive comments from listeners concerning my preaching style because of the way that I will infuse humor into my sermons.  And while I am honored to receive the acclaim, I would much rather be known as one who emanates the very fire of God when I present the Gospel message.  Sounds like I need to spend more time with the giver of that fire!
Duewel goes on to express the fact that: “Fire attracts.  Fire motivates.  Fire kindles fire; it is the nature of fire to set ablaze” (Ablaze For God page 22)  That same fire should cause us to be enthusiastic about the things of God.  It is interesting to note that the original root of that word “enthusiastic” actually comes from en + theos meaning “to be inspired by God.  To be a possessor of God or having God within.”  (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/enthusiasm)
So the question to ask yourself today is, “How enthusiastic am I about the things of God?  Am I so ablaze with the fire of God that it leaps onto those in whom I share my life with?”  I remember trying to buy one of those Children’s Church trick bibles that had a concealed lighter inside of it so that when it was opened the fire would ignite with a strong flame.  But in reality, I already have one and it’s no trick!  It is the fire of the Word of God that is just waiting for me to get close enough, for long enough that it will catch me on fire with His love, His passion and His zeal!  How about you?
Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What FIRE am I expecting to SPREAD today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.