Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Surprise!

I was thinking this morning a little more about the experience that I talked about in yesterday’s blog post.  Then when I came to Colossians 3:14 during my bible study, everything came into a much clearer perspective.  In this section of his letter to the church at Corinth, the apostle Paul is talking about many of the attributes and responsibilities that come with being a new man or a new creation in Christ. In verse fourteen he declares that as Christians we should “Above all be loving.  This ties everything together perfectly.” (God’s Word ©).

As I read this verse in connection with my involvement with my wife’s relatives, I saw that His love is the answer and the balm of healing for each new episode of this trying situation.  The Lord showed me that as I keep my focus on Jesus that forgiveness and the desire to work with the relationship can be relatively easy!  It is not my job to try and fix what I think is wrong with someone else, it is God’s!  My job is to walk in love and thereby allow Him the means to work His wonders in people’s hearts.
I have to admit that I NEVER thought that I would have to stretch myself so much to love others in the midst of my wife’s battle for her good health.  When we made the decision to put the ministry call on hold after bible school and return home to get a handle on what was happening with my wife, I told the Lord that I was dedicating myself to my wife’s needs and that everything else was secondary.  I thought that all I would have to do is focus all my energy, faith, love and determination and trust in God on her.  I really thought that it would be that simple!
I was totally taken by surprise when I came to the realization that I also had to be the conduit of strength, faith and the purveyor of peace amongst relatives, church members and a few friends when it came to our stand of faith in God and His faithfulness to His Word.  I never thought that I would actually have to take steps to protect my wife from some that have been close to us.
Now, as I look through the stories in both the Old and the New Testaments, I can see where many leaders had to do exactly the same thing when it came to following God’s call for them, their families and their congregations and followers.  Paul went so far as to say that the things that the Godly men and women experienced in the Old Testament “happened to make them an example for others.” (I Corinthians 10:11)
But as I mentioned before, with my focus on Jesus, the shock of the surprise was short lived.  The lessons may not have been the easiest to learn, but they were (and are being) learned.  And we’re moving on! 
Colossians 3:15 encourages us to “let Christ’s peace control you.” (God’s Word ©)  Once you’ve yielded to His love and walk in it, the peace part also falls into line!  So, I guess that I am trying to encourage each of you this day to keep your focus on Him, be a copycat of His love walk and then let His peace overwhelm and control your daily steps.  Then just maybe… you’ll be the one to surprise others with the calm, peaceful and joyful manner in which you live your life!
Have a wonderful day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.