Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mountain Top Experiences

Back in the late 1970’s I was still young in the Lord and hungering for more of Him without a lot of knowledge about how to go about satisfying my cravings for Him.  I was the Youth Minister at the Baptist church that my wife and I attended and threw everything I had into the ministry to those wonderful Junior and Senior High students.  Besides the weekly meetings, special events and other regular activities that we led, we had also established four major ministry happenings for the youth each year.  These were designed to be mountain top experiences in the lives of the young students and for the leadership as well! 

In the winter both groups attended separate weekend Snow Camps at the American Baptist Churches of the West regional camp in the Sierra Nevada’s near Tahoe, California.  In the summer the youth were able to attend a week long summer camp at the same conference grounds.  Then in the fall my wife and I would take the combined groups on a weekend camping adventure to a State Park in the majestic redwood groves located anywhere from two to three hours north of our city.  In the last few years that we ministered there, we also added a summer weekend waterski camp in which I worked with the College Career group and three adults with boats in ministering to the youth.
At one point after one of these special camps I had a deep conversation with a member of the church whom I greatly respected.  I had mentioned to him that I longed to live in a mountain top experience with God on a regular basis, not just three or four times a year.  His response and the foundation of our conversation centered around his understanding that we cannot live on the mountain top all the time.  His hypothesis was that we lived our everyday lives in the valley and only went up to the mountain top for an occasional refreshing from the Lord.
That conversation has uncomfortably stuck with me throughout the last 35 years!  Recently though, I came across a statement about the Apostle Paul that rejected my friend’s theory and gave me a new hope for living in that kind of a close, personal and powerful relationship with my Savior.
In discussing the evidence of the power of God being demonstrated on a regular basis in the ministry and life of Paul, Wesley L. Duewel in his book for leaders in the church, “Ablaze For God” states: “What Paul wants is more of the abiding power of Christ communicated through the Spirit.  What he desires is not for an occasional mountain top experience.  He longs for the continuing experience of God’s power everyday of his life and ministry.  He hungers for, yearns for, and is willing to pay any price if only that power can abide upon him day after day.” (Ablaze For God ©1989 by Wesley L. Duewel, Francis Asbury Press)
This bold statement describes exactly what I was longing for back in the 70’s and has continued through today.  If Paul could live it, then so can you and I!  I think the reason that it seems too unconceivable to some believers though, is because of the maximum effort it takes to consistently live in this close proximity with God.  The personal hungering and yearning has to be followed up with paying the price on a day to day basis.
Have I reached this goal?  NO!  But I continue to work on it!  It is a continual process that needs to be worked at on a daily basis, 24/7 – 365 days a year!  Is it worth the effort?  YES… and then some!  Will I ever “reach” the goal?  I don’t think so.  I believe that it is something that grows and matures within us as time goes on.  It is a fluid process.  If you stop reaching out and moving forward, I believe that you’ll fall behind!
Paul told the Colossian Church that they were to “get rid of the person you used to be” because “you’ve become a new person” and that this new person is to be “continually renewed in the knowledge to be like its Creator.” (Colossians 3:9-10 God’s Word ©)  That sounds like a consistent, life long process to me.  It also sounds like an exciting challenge to embark upon!  What do you think?  You know, you can see a lot from the top of a mountain.  What a way to live this life!  I’m all for it.  How about you?
Have a mountain top day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What EXPERIENCE am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.