Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Green Outlook!

Okay… many of you may be thinking that I had too much fun this weekend and lost it today with the title to this post!  Well, as a matter of fact, we did have a good holiday weekend, and even though it rained yesterday and we woke up to a grey dreary morning today, I am rejoicing! 

Last night was another one of those long nights where I did not sleep too well.  I am not really sure why either!  With the inclement weather yesterday, we were not able to go for our walks.  This combined with our spending a good portion of the afternoon watching the San Francisco Giants game on TV made for a pretty sedate day!  So, maybe my body was just a little restless when we hit the sack!  Therefore I was less than chipper when I arose this morning!
But, when I walked into the kitchen to brew some java that all changed.  As I neared the sink I stopped to gaze outside to our patio and all the plants arrayed around the deck.  At that instant all the grogginess of the night dissolved as I feasted my eyes upon the effects of the rainfall the night before.  Even though the cloudy skies cast a grey tint on everything, the plants sparkled with the raindrops on their leaves, the green branches shimmered, and the red, pink, violet, white and yellow flowers seemed to glow with an uncanny iridescence!
The green plants in the patio and on the deck that were framed by the tall maples and pines beyond our fence seemed to be enriched with life and it changed my whole outlook on the day!  It made me think on Pastor James’s words that he wrote in the first chapter of his epistle.  James 1:17 declares that “Every food gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of changing.” (NKJV)  Another modern translation of that verse says: “in whom there is no inconsistency or shifting shadows.” (International Standard Version)
It was just another reminder of the faithfulness and consistency of God and His Word, no matter how the situations or circumstances in our life may change.  In our neck of the world we have been having some pretty nice weather and then yesterday that all changed!  In the morning we woke up to cloudy, threatening skies.  By mid-morning we had some light rain.  I had gone out early in the day and brought in our summer furniture as I didn’t want the cushions to get wet.
I then brought them back out before dinner as the weather forecast was declaring that the rain had passed.  Oophs!… wrong call!  While we were watching a movie later in the evening I suddenly noticed that it was steadily raining outside!  Well, by then I had my shoes off and figured it was too late to bring the wet, dripping furniture into the house!  That incident just made me think about how fast things around us can change!  We had gone from hot summer type weather where people were crowding to the pools at our neighborhood recreation center, to winter temperatures and steady rain in one day!
But that scene outside our kitchen this morning brought it all into perspective.  When I returned to my study after getting the coffee going, I sat in my chair and opened my sword (ie; bible!) and read from James 1:17.  Then I heard that familiar voice deep inside say, “The present can be filled with uncertainties – unless- you’re trusting in the unchangeableness of God’s Word as the unshakable foundation of your life!”
That verse talks about the shifting shadows that are caused as things get between the sun and where its rays may fall.  Well, the situations and circumstances we face in this life may cause our viewpoint on life to change or be “shaded” from time to time.  But no matter what is happening to us, God’s Word NEVER changes, NEVER shifts and NEVER causes a negative shadow to fall on us who trust in it!  He is ALWAYS faithful and true to His Word.
Even though the skies were no longer sunny, bright and blue this morning, God’s presence was still quite visible as it reflected His glory off the plants in our patio!  So no matter how grey and dreary things may seem in your life today, look for His glory reflected in the things and people around you!  Remember… Circumstances around us may change but in Him there is NO variation or shifting shadows!  Have a great – Son shiny day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.