Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Self-Encouragement

Today broke forth as one of those signature million dollar, sunny and warm northern California spring days!  The bright sunlight shimmering in through our kitchen sliding window beckoned to me as I walked by first thing this morning with a steaming hot mug of java in my hand.  Needless to say, I had to yield and slid open the door and stepped outside into our enclosed patio.  As soon as I opened the door I heard the dog rumbling down the stairs from her lair under the bed upstairs!

Together Mandie and I stood in the quiet warmth and enjoyed the peace and serenity that seemed to emanate from the profusely growing tomato and zucchini bushes I had planted a few weeks back, the flowering geraniums, the white and pink rose buds and the tiny white flowers competing with the new growth on the lemon bush.  This was actually the first time in quite a while where I was able to go out into my personal early morning haven to walk with the Lord in our patio garden.  I had almost forgotten how healing it is to my psyche to be out there in the quiet of the new day.

I think that even the dog realized what was happening out there this morning.  After bounding outside and sniffing around some of her favorite places, she suddenly stood still, looked at me and then slowly walked over and stood quietly beside me.  As I reached out my hand to pet her, we silently enjoyed the pleasure of the peace and encouragement that we felt in that special place. 
After a little while we retreated back into the house and the dog immediately trotted into our bedroom and began to roll on her back and bark happily… The only problem was that my wife was in bed and up until that point, was enjoying some restful sleep!  But you know?  She must have inwardly sensed what was going on as she awoke with a big smile on her face and began to laugh as I quickly came into the room to see if I could salvage the morning after the rude awakening!
In the midst of a very trying and potentially explosive situation immediately following the surprise enemy capture of his and his soldiers families, I Samuel 30:6 states that “David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.” (KJV)  David’s troops were so upset with their leader at this time that they were threatening to stone him.  It suddenly looked like David was completely on his own.  So when he had no one else to turn to, David encouraged himself in the Lord!  Once his faith was stronger he sought the Lord’s directions, followed His plan and rescued their families without the loss of anyone!  And on top of that, he also regained the trust and respect of his troops!
My few moments outside this morning served as a means to encourage myself in the midst of everything going on in my personal life at this time.  It was like a sacred time spent alone in the garden with God!  These moments in time are without equal!  They are priceless to the whole man.
Is it time for you to take a moment to encourage yourself today?  Sometimes we spend too much time looking for others to minister to us, when the answer for the immediate need lies inside of ourselves!  So be like David and take a moment to encourage yourself!  It doesn’t take long and the rewards are wonderful!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.