Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, May 17, 2013

Sources of Combustion

As I have been writing about lately, I have been consumed with the passion to be on fire for God.  I have been spending a lot of time in the Word and reading books concerning this subject.  Today I read a statement in the current volume I just started “Ablaze For God” by Wesley L. Duewel that made me spin in my chair!  Reverend Duewel declared that “God has created our spirits flammable.  We are spiritually combustible.”

As I sat in my study meditating on that idea, I heard that still small voice deep inside me say: “We are a fire just waiting to happen!”  Then I recalled all the effort we went through when I supervised in the precision machining area at Agilent Technologies in the late 1990’s, to make sure that all potential sources of combustion were safely stored and disposed of in OSHA approved fireproof containers.
The containment of these sources was a well-documented and followed procedure within the shop.  I even spent many months on a special project updating the written safety manual for the entire division.  Therefore I was intimately familiar with these standard operating procedures.
As I think back on that training, I wonder if some of us Christians are following the same procedures in order to knowingly or unknowingly contain any possible outbreak of fire in our personal lives.  With my Pentecostal background, I am very much aware of those who are not comfortable with our lively expressions of worship.  Some have even referred to it as “wildfire.”  But then as a great man of God I once knew said, “I’d rather have a little wildfire than no fire at all!”
I think that the fear of “wildfire” has tended to cause some to not allow their spirits to combust into a hot flame for God.  What I have come to understand, especially lately though, is that God knows each of us so intimately that He will not allow us to go beyond what we can handle or desire or are comfortable with.  Remember what Paul told His young apprentice Timothy in 2 Timothy 1:7 where he stated, “For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of self-control.” (1965 Bible In Basic English)
So therefore instead of trying to safely and comfortably contain the outbreak of personal flammable combustion for God, let it go!  Let that naturally occurring combination that God has created in you explode for Him and for the eternal benefit all those around you.  Let yourself be ablaze for Him!
I’ll conclude this week with the words from a song written by Wesley L. Duewell in the book I am reading.  Let these anointed words dwell richly in you this weekend.
“Blessed Holy Spirit, come again today;
 Come, indwell us fully in a mighty way.
 We are longing waiting for Your grace and pow’r;
 Blessed Holy Spirit, come on us this hour.

  Come upon us now!  Come upon us now!
  Hungry, thirsty, longing we before You bow.
  Work in all Your fullness in and through us all;
  Hungry and obeying, Lord, in faith we call.

  Blessed Holy Spirit, let Shekinah fall;
  May Your holy glory come upon us all!
  May Your fire and glory now on us descend;
  Put your seal upon us; then in service send.”
 
Have a great weekend!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What FIRE am I expecting to INGNITE today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.