Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Needing More...

Today was one of those mornings where I awoke feeling a little out of sorts with my world.  I wasn’t upset or anything like that, I just felt like I wasn’t really in touch with much of anything.  I probably could have actually slept a little longer but since I was already about 10 minutes behind my regular schedule, I decided to brave the day and get up!

After getting dressed I sauntered into the study next door, plopped down in my chair and decided to try and jump start the day by fortifying myself with a bit of the Word before I brewed the morning coffee!  This activity seemed to help as I read from Colossians chapter two.  It is amazing what even a small dosage of the Word can do for one’s attitude.

A little while later as I returned to the study with my morning cup of coffee in hand, I felt led to reread the scriptures I had studied the day before in 1 Thessalonians chapter one.  Only this time I felt directed to read them from S. Way’s “The Letters of St Paul to Seven Churches and three Friends with the Letter to the Hebrews.”  When I got down to the thirteenth verse that I wrote about in yesterday’s blog, my heart suddenly jumped for joy!  Something went off in side of me that I hadn’t experienced for a while.

Way stated the verse this way in his interpretation of Paul’s comments, “I, like yourselves, am unceasingly giving thanks to God, because, when you received the message of God that you heard from me, you accepted it as no message of men, but – as it in very truth is – a message of God, the message that is still a soul-thrilling power in you who believe.”
It was the exciting and adventurous thought of God’s Word being “soul-thrilling” to me that caused my heart to skip a beat!  Suddenly all of those special times when I personally felt the wonderful closeness of God in the past flooded my memory.  Then I immediately paused and had to answer the questions that came to my mind that asked “if I still felt that way, if the message of God was actively on display in my life, and if I actively believed it enough for it to be working in and through me?”
After I worked through those inquiries, I leaned over in my chair with my hands clasped on my lap and began to cry out to the Lord.  Over the past couple of years and especially lately, I have worked diligently to stay closely in touch with the Lord and His daily directions for me and my wife.  I have clearly understood the need to stay intimate with Him in our time of need and have made the call for His assistance on countless occasions.
But today as I sat broken in that chair I realized that what I need is more of Him than I have ever had in the past.  Trying to get what I had wasn’t going to make it now!  What I had is not enough anymore!  Today I need more and more of Him!  I need a fresh dose of the Holy Ghost and a new found, deeper and clearer relationship with the Lord of Lord’s and King of Kings.
As I sat in that chair I found myself repeatedly worshipping the Lord by singing:
“Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me;
 Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
 Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.

 Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.” *

Then a fresh anointing fell in the room and I felt bathed in His love and comfort.  Wow!  What a way to start your day!  I’m so glad that I pushed through the morning “Yuk” and pursued His presence.  But it didn’t end as I went to get my wife up for the day.  I have a new mandate.  I have come into a new place in my relationship with our God and since I need more of Him, I need to spend more time seeking Him!
 
Does any of this sound familiar to any of you?  If so, then maybe this is your day, your week, your time to pursue a deeper walk with Him.  I’ll share a few more thoughts tomorrow, but for now, find a quiet place and begin to worship Him singing:
“Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me…”
Have a terrific day!  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What part of His GOODNESS am I expecting today?”

 * Written by David Iverson - 1926

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.