Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, August 1, 2011

How Adventurous Are You?

Romans 8:15 in the Message Bible says that we are to live our Christian lives as “adventurously expectant.” 

… So, tell me the truth.  Is that the way that you woke up on this fine Monday morning?  I’ll be honest with you.  I didn’t!  I’ve been standing against some symptoms the last few mornings and even though I had been thinking about a multitude of scriptures in bed, I arose today, feeling tired with a nagging headache.  I padded down the stairs, splashed some cold water on my face, put aside the urge to put on a pot of java, and instead went right into my study to see what the Word had to say about my feelings.

Low and behold, my eyes went right to my little Message Bible sitting on my desk that was opened up to Romans 8.  Starting with verses 13 – 14, I was captivated with the statement concerning our old life which said that “The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life… There are things to do and places to go!”  That kind of made it real clear, real fast to me!  I decided then and there, that I was not going to let the way I felt determine how my day or my week, for that matter, would go.

The “adventurously expectant” phrase in the next section sealed my resolve.  The entire verse states: “This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave tending life.  It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike ‘What’s next Papa?’  (Romans 8:15 Message Bible)  Wow!  That sure got my spiritual adrenaline flowing! 

You and I are not to spend our precious time nursing sluggish feelings, depression, or the old “I just want to go back to bed” syndrome.  The Word says that we have “things to do and places to go” The expectant thoughts of the adventures that “Papa” God has lined up for us this day or this week, should get us jumping out of bed like a little kid on summer vacation who runs into his parent’s room shouting out “What’s next Papa!”

Sound a little outlandish?  I really don’t think it should.  I believe that it is the style of life that our Heavenly Father has designed for His kids to live.  We should be excited about living life.  After all, His Word does say that we are “the head and not the tail” (Deuteronomy 8:13 King James Version), that “no weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper” (Isaiah 54:17 King James Version) and that “I have strength for all things in Christ, the One strengthening me” (Philippians 4:13 Literal Translation of The Holy Bible)

So… take this exhortation to heart today.  Decide to live this day and this week as one who is “adventurously expectant” of the goodness of God flowing in you, for you and then through you!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What ADVENTUROUS things am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.