Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Great Patio Wars…


Earlier this morning as I began my daily study and fellowship time with the Lord, I turned to Galatians 5:22-23 and read about the fruit of the Spirit.  As my eyes followed the printed words, my mind began to picture all the physical fruit of the summer harvest that we have been enjoying over the last few weeks.  All of those peaches, pears and vine ripened red tomatoes are the product of a lot of consistent and diligent effort spread out over the previous months.

It all started back in the late fall when the pruning of the trees was accomplished.  Then came the dormant spraying, the working of the soil, the regular fertilization and then the fending off of the hungry pests!  The abundant growth and harvest of our patio tomatoes is a very visual sign of our victory over these pests.  Let me explain…

Last year I grew tomatoes in our large kitchen patio only to find the ripening fruits to be missing or half eaten.  I spent most of the summer trying to figure out whom or what was invading our seven foot fenced in area.  This year I was hoping for a reprieve when something began eating the leaves and gnawing on the branches of our potted lemon tree.  Finally the light went on when my dog and I began to see a rat or two scampering through the two patios.  Although we live in a very nice area, it is located on the eastern edge of our city and is bordered by the municipal golf course… which just happens to be a good breeding ground for the little varmints!

A little investigation on the internet about the eating habits of rats confirmed my suspicions.  What ensued over the next two months was all out warfare on my behalf.  It started with the daily traps which quickly netted results.  This though, was a technique whose results I did not want to face multiple times during the day.  As soon as I stopped fighting, the evidence of the enemy’s presence reappeared.  This time I marked the places under the deck and the fence that the dog always checked out and hid some treated oats there, well out of the possible reach of the pooch.  Within a couple of weeks all traces of the critters dissipated and I actually picked our first vine ripened tomatoes since we moved in here over two years ago!  But believe me; the battle is not over as far as I am concerned.  The guard dog and I still keep a vigilant eye on the patios with our vegetables, herbs and fruit trees to assure that we stay in control!

Does any of this sound familiar to you in your daily walks of faith?  Just like my physical “Great war of the patios”, great spiritual victories come from greatly fought battles. I Timothy 6:12 instructs us to “Fight the good fight of faith” in order to lay hold of our victory (King James Version).  And the victory is not attained until the battle has been decisively won.

Let me encourage you today, to NOT give up!  To keep on keeping on until you see the enemy run with his tail tucked between his legs.  (or in my case, caught under the snapped down bar… Oh sorry… a little too graphic!)  If you find yourself needing to be re-supplied, get in the word and build up your confidence and strength.  Then go out and boldly resume the battle, and don’t stop until you walk away with the spoils of the land.

Every time I have picked a tomato (and its beginning to be a daily event now!) I chuckle at the thought of everything I went through to redeem that fruit.  But I also thank the Lord for the perseverance that He gave me to see this thing through in order to enjoy every sweet bite of the victory.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What VICTORIES am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.