Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, August 12, 2011

Medicine That's Actually Good For You!


You know that you’re getting old when you realize that about half the commercials on the satellite channels that you like to watch advertise medicines for senior citizens!  What really caught my attention though, was the long list of the potential side effects that the individuals who take these “helpful” drugs may experience.  It makes me think that living with the disease is easier than living with the side effects!  - Of course, as Christians we can live without either of the problems… but that’s another subject for another post!

It was the verse that we have been looking at this week in Psalms118:24 that got me to thinking about medicines today.  As I read the part about rejoicing and being glad, I immediately thought about Philippians 4:4 where Paul encourages us to “Always be joyful in the Lord” In fact, he was so excited about, that it he went on to exclaim: “I’ll say it again, Be joyful!”  (Gods Word ©) 

Why do you think that he was so adamant about this action?  I think that it was because he knew of the importance that King Solomon put on being joyful.  Proverbs 17:22 declares that “A joyful heart is good medicine, but depression drains one’s strength.”  (Gods Word ©)  This is the type of joy that comes from the inside of the born again believer.  It is not dependant on the outer circumstances in life, the weather, our health or even from our financial status.  Paul wrote the letter of Philippians while awaiting the death sentence in a Roman prison.  And he continually pointed to the importance of joy in a believer’s life. (see Philippians 3:1)

It is interesting that a Psychiatrist that my wife and I had visited about a year ago told me that it was very important to keep her happy and at peace.  She is very sensitive to the emotions of people around her.  She will be very up and energetic when in the company of happy, outgoing people and will quickly slip into a very sober and almost out of touch reality when around depressed individuals.  I have come to realize that there are certain people that I just can’t afford to let her stay alone with anymore.

Be honest with me here, wouldn’t you rather be around encouraging people who tend to be up and happy, rather that those who give in to depression?  I’m sure that heaven has got to be the most happy, encouraging and up land in the universe… and you know why? Because the souls and angelic beings in heaven worshipfully rejoice 24/7.  (If there was time as we know it in heaven!)

Why should we be any different down here while we are performing our jobs as Ambassadors of the Kingdom of God on the earth?  Besides, this type of medicine has NO negative side effects!  It’s ALL positive!  You can take it anytime you want, as much as you want, and it is always available to you… even in the midst of the most trying situations.

Many years ago I was sitting alone in the living room of our new home reading these “rejoice in the Lord” scriptures when I suddenly started chuckling out loud.  Before I knew it I was laughing so hard that I actually rolled off the couch onto the floor.  About that time my older daughter Jamie, who was probably around ten at the time, came walking into the room.  She stood there with this stunned look on her face until I motioned for her to come over.  She walked over, sat next to me and immediately burst out laughing.  I guess we got a little loud because in a few moments the rest of the family came in and joined us in our “joyful noise” (check out Psalm 98:4).  As I look back today, I’m not quite sure if they where laughing with us or at us!  But nevertheless, it was definitely a time of refreshing for us, brought healing to our family and cemented to us the truth and importance of Proverbs 17:22.

So what do you think?  Do you want to give it a try?  Find a quiet place this weekend, start studying out the verses I’ve mentioned in today’s post and let the joy of the Lord overwhelm you.  It is an experience that you’ll never forget, and always desire to have again. (I’ve actually had many such happenings since then!)  Who needs the latest pain medicines when God has given us the strongest most natural health aid available to man!  Remember, “A joyful heart is a GOOD medicine!”  Have a happy weekend, stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What JOYFUL things am I expecting to experience today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.