Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Winter Clean Up

Well, I finally mustered up the confidence to go out to the kitchen patio yesterday, to begin the process of cleaning off the layers of winter yuk that had accumulated over the last few months.  I had gotten a little spoiled since last year when my wife had kept a tight reign over the falling leaves, weeds and other unmentionable items (ie; compliments of the dog…) that would find their way into our large patio.  This year things had sort of gotten out of hand and the time had finally come to accomplish the dreaded task!  (Of course the thought of my grand kids coming over today played into this decision also!)

On the positive side, the weather was nice, the sun was warm and once I began, I actually found myself enjoying the work.  After about an hour and a half, the brick patio and the deck areas began to emerge, followed in quick succession by the roses and other plants in the garden area.  When I finally walked back into the house, I turned and looked through the sliding window and was amazed at what I observed.  What had been an untidy scene of old leaves, dead plants and clutter was transposed into a comfortable outdoor living center complete with a clean walkway, scrubbed decks and beautiful potted plants.  It got me excited about the summer prospects of reclining in our patio chairs with an ice cold glass of soda and a good book.

This morning as my wife and I ate breakfast while gazing at the reformed patio area, I thought about how the before and after view of the area was similar to how God sees us.  There are times in each of our lives when it seems like all the yuk of a winter season has settled upon us.  Times get tough, things get covered up and we begin to have a hard time loving ourselves.  Then the season changes, our outlook on life improves, and we begin the process of removing the clutter that has accumulated about us.

What struck me today was that God always sees the real us that, at times, may be hidden under the clutter of life’s rough seasons.  He knows us and loves us through any stormy time in life!  Romans 8:31-39 talks about some of the rough times that attack us and sums up God’s point of view of these events nicely in verse 38 with the Apostle Paul saying: “I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love… by anything in the present or anything in the future…”  (Gods Word ©)

What a wonderful foundation to set your life upon.  Even though I detested the thought of cleaning up our patio area yesterday, I was driven on to completion by the knowledge of the serene times that the clean patio presented for my wife and I to enjoy in the coming summer months.  Keep that thought in mind when you find yourself buried under a pile of problems or condemnation that have come upon you.  Think of how much God loves and trusts in you, how He sees the real you, your gifts, your talents and the unique qualities that make you shine to others, and then know that He is with you, on your team and available to help you dig out from the wintry clutter.  With that vision, you will soon find your real self emerging and looking forward to enjoying the pleasures of life in the summer months ahead!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

3 comments:

  1. Such wonderful encouragement. I love the analogy between the messy patio and our messiness. Indeed, He see's us just as we are... the best and the worst and He is still in control of it all. Yet, what He desires for us is the best. Great perspective and thoughts to get our minds back on track when we've sunk into the pit. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jim! So honest and true. I know I get discouraged and down over life's yuck. I'm still unburying my true self from childhood gunk. It takes time but when God starts revealing what's underneath, it's AMAZING! Thank you for the blessing of your wisdom today :)

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks... I am soooo glad that my heavenly Father looks at what is in my heart and not at what I may see in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.