Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday

As we proceed through what many religious traditions refer to as Holy Week, we come to Maundy Thursday which we celebrate today.  This is the day before Good Friday when Jesus and His disciples partook of the Passover meal, which Christians call the Last Supper.  It is a time for us to recall the events that led up to Christ’s crucifixion and death, before the celebration of Easter when Christ rose triumphant from the claws of death, thereby enabling mankind to have a way to receive eternal life, and come into the presence of God without shame or guilt.

One of the other important events that happened on Maundy Thursday (or Holy Thursday as known in some denominations) is the one from whence the day derives it’s name.  This would be when Jesus humbled Himself by washing the feet of His disciples.  The word “Maundy” comes from the Latin word “mandatum” meaning commandment.  Therefore the “Maundy” in Maundy Thursday refers to the command that Jesus gave in explaining the foot washing experience.  In John 13:34 He said: “I’m giving you a new commandment: Love each other in the same way that I have loved you.”  (Gods Word ©)  Basically Jesus was telling us to love others with a humble attitude.  He said that no one is better than anyone else.

I think that this is a basic tenant of the Christian faith that many times gets put aside in our day to day life.  We (myself included) can get so involved with what’s happening in our own lives that we may fail to see the needs that others have.  As I was reading the story of the Last Supper in John 13 this morning, the Lord spoke this message loud and clear to me!  There have been times while dealing with all the personal emotions and pressures of caring for my wife that I have found myself getting angry that some of those closest to us are not responding to my wife’s concerns like I think they should.  You know what?  They probably have needs too, and I most likely should stop sniveling and find out what I can do to assist them.  That’s what Jesus would do, isn’t it?

I mean… Jesus was getting ready to go through the most awful, terrible ordeal known to man, be beat beyond recognition, become sin for every man, women and child born on this earth, and what does He do?  Instead of taking one last respite, and letting His disciples wait on Him, He takes off His outer garments, humbling Himself like a servant, and washes the feet of His disciples!  Wow, what an example to follow.  How totally opposite to what the world around us preaches.

That lesson gave me a shocking reality check this morning!  How about you?  As we approach Resurrection Sunday, are there any “adjustments” that you may need to make in the way you think and act toward others?  Remember in Hebrews 12:2 where it says that Jesus was able to go through all the pain and suffering that He endured because of “the joy” He saw “ahead of Him?”  (Gods Word ©)  He put his feelings and needs aside and only considered how His actions would be a blessing to others.  I suggest that we take notice, and do the same!  Let this celebration of Easter be like none other before.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.