Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Red Tagged

I forgot to ask if any of you had a “fragrances of Spring” experience this past weekend.  (In case you don’t know what I’m talking about read last Friday’s post: http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2011/04/fragrances-of-spring.html)  I had one, but instead of being the fragrance giver, my wife and I found ourselves on the other end!  We received a spur of the moment dinner invitation on Saturday evening for the next day from two of my wife’s close relatives.  We immediately said yes, and began to look forward to a fun evening with them.  On Sunday evening we experienced just what we expected and enjoyed a wonderful Italian dinner (is there anything else!!!), stimulating conversation and most of all, great fellowship with believers of like faith.  The fragrances of Spring were all over that house and seemed to emanate from every word they spoke.  It was just what we needed!

Carol is a first cousin to my wife and along with her husband Danny are just plain great people!  Although they have been through a lot in life, they continue to move on and reach out to others all around them.  Danny has been deeply involved with AA for probably a couple of decades.  The program literally saved his life many years ago and he has dedicated his second chance to help others looking for help through AA.  During one of our many different conversations, I mentioned about how many lives that he has positively influenced through the years.  Danny’s response turned a light on in me and I thought that I would share his revelation with you.

He began by reminding us of his past training and work as a diesel mechanic.  While working for one large trucking firm, part of his responsibilities included emergency roadside service.  He related how seriously he took his job.  He said that he always followed the personal rule of thumb, that if he felt that it was not safe for him to drive, then no one would drive it.  If he did all he could and still deemed it as potentially unsafe, he would “red tag” the vehicle.  His next comment is what stirred me.  He said that this was the same rule that he used when sponsoring others in AA.  He purposed to live his life and always act in a manner that after doing all that he could in assisting others in straitening out their lives, that he would not be “red tagged” as an “unsafe” influence.

That thought of having that “red tag” attached to me has vividly stayed with me over the last couple of days.  It got me to thinking about all the things that I do in public as well as in private.  Are there areas of my life that could make me “unsafe” to others?  I thought about my wife, my kids, my grandkids, our church congregation, other family members, friends and acquaintances.  When you stop and look at it, each of us has the potential to influence many, many people!

I want to assure that my influences are as positive and encouraging to others as I can make them to be.  How about you?  It goes back to what we talked about last week concerning our ability to become more outside of ourselves focused!  Sometimes it takes us to imagine looking at ourselves through the eyes of someone else!  What do they see? 

The Apostle Paul talked about running his life race with clear goals before him, and that he toughened his body so that he would “not be disqualified after I spread the Good News to others.” (I Corinthians 9:26-27 Good News ©)  He was very aware of his reflection on others and so should we.  Each of us was created special in His eyes with particular gifts and talents.  Are you using those abilities for Him in blessing others?  I would encourage you to take a serious look at your life, work to straighten out the crooked paths and fire up the personal integrity so as to not find yourself wearing the dreaded “red tag!”   Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”


1 comment:

  1. Ohhh that's good! I don't want to be red tagged, ever. But as a sinner, I'm certain there are things that could cause that to come into play. It certainly makes you rethink everything. We could be red tagged by having a glass of wine, spending and shopping, and pretty much every area. This definitely gives me something to chew on for a while! Thanks Jim!

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.