Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Only Believe!

Yesterday I read a sermon by the great evangelist Smith Wigglesworth.   Wigglesworth (who was called the man with two last names!) was considered a radical minister who traveled the world and preached from the early 1900’s until his home going in 1947.  He was considered radical because of his unwavering faith in God which caused him to be bold and sometimes gruff when ministering to the sick, and because of the signs and wonders that accompanied his meetings.  Hundreds of people received miraculous healings, and up to twenty people were said to have been raised from the dead after he laid hands on them.  He is known in Pentecostal circles as the Apostle of Faith.  His favorite saying as well as the foundational basis for his ministry was “Only Believe!”

In the sermon which was entitled “The Substance of Things Hoped For” Mr. Wigglesworth said that it is important that people have a foundational truth that is greater than themselves, on which they can rest.  As I absorbed that thought, I smiled in agreement because this is the basis for what we expect to happen each day.  Once again, Hebrews 11:1 in the Gods Word translation states that “Faith assures us of (the) things we expect…”  (Gods Word ©) and as I have stated in the past, those expectations can be either good or bad.  It all depends on your personal foundation.

Like Smith Wigglesworth, my faith is based on the unshakeable foundation of God’s Word.  Therefore, no matter what the circumstances around me present, I know that I will eventually overcome any negative events and walk forth in victory.  (Check out I Corinthians 15:57!)  How is your foundation holding up this week?  Do you have that same confidence as I do?  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself…”What am I expecting today?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.