Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Forecasts of Rain

I’d like to continue today on the theme of “Joy”.  Yesterday we talked about how this joy is not dependent on the outcome of the circumstances in life.  Instead it comes from the immutability of the foundation in which we have entrusted our lives to.  That big word “immutability” means Unchangeableness; the quality that renders change or alteration impossible; invariableness.”  Webster’s 1828 dictionary also adds that “Immutability is an attribute of God.”

When you walk in the confidence that your foundation renders change to it’s guiding principles as impossible, you will see the ordinary things around you in a different light.  A good example of this would be the conversation that I had with my Mom this morning.  Today the weather in our area is quite stormy.  Strong winds and heavy rains abound, and my Mom called to encourage me to not go out because of the dire predictions of falling trees and flooding streets that were being broadcast on a local radio station.  As we talked I quickly recognized the fear in her voice and I related to her how my wife and I did not want to get out of bed this morning because we were enjoying the sound of the rain beating against our windows.  To my Mom the storm presented insurmountable obstacles, while my outlook was one of wonderment and pleasure at the sound and sights of a good old fashion winter storm (even though it is now officially springtime!) I even suggested to my wife that we bundle up and walk down to the community lake so that I could get some photos of the raindrops pounding down on the water!

There is a portion of scripture in the Old Testament book of Isaiah where the prophet compares the falling of the rain to the infallibility of God’s Word.  He says that the Word is like the rain, in that they both produce a predicted result.  While the rain causes plants on the earth to sprout and grow, the Word also accomplishes what it says it will do.  Then he goes on to expound that because of this knowledge “You will go out with joy and be led forth with peace,” and that your vision of the things around you will change and it will seem to you as though “The mountains and the hills will break into songs of joy in your presence…”  (Isaiah 55:10-12 Gods Word ©) I’d definitely call that a different outlook on the world around you!

What a thought!  Instead of seeing the negative aspects of a situation, you will see only the positive and joyful representations of your immediate future.  Remember that your expectations are always about what’s coming up next.  So expect the best, and let your foundation do the rest…  Don’t let the forecasts of rain flood your life!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

1 comment:

  1. I NEEDED that today! I live in the valley in Oregon where it rains almost all of the year. This time of year is when I start to sing the blues because I just want some sunshine! Today is no different. I especially liked this, "Don’t let the forecasts of rain flood your life!" Thanks for the encouraging words today :)

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.