Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Don't Allow First Impressions To Deceive You

At first glance, our kitchen patio looked fairly bleak, as I opened the slider to let the dog out to complete her morning ritual today.  Something caught my attention though, and I slid out into the brisk morning air to have a look.  As I did a 360 around the area, I observed that even though everything was wet and kind of bedraggled, all the plants gave off the deepest hue of green that I have ever seen!  Even the artichoke which is normally a tint of grayish green reflected a text book, color chart example of forest green.  I stood there for  a little while awestruck and just allowed myself to absorb the beauty of the lush green lying in the midst of the otherwise drab morning scene.

When I went out to the patio a few minutes ago, this time equipped with my morning cup of java, I began to see how first impressions can be so deceiving.  I could have taken that first glance, observed the overall bleakness and walked away having missed the wonder that lay just below my initial point of view.  Had I not taken the extra moment to step outside, I would have had a totally different outlook and sense for the beginning of my day.

How many times do we just take that quick look at someone, or some situation, size it up, make our judgment and walk away thinking that we have it figured out?  Proverbs 21:5 says that people who are hasty end up in want.  In want of more information, in want of more income, in want of better relationships with others and generally in want of a better life!  Do you every find yourself in want in any of these areas?  Maybe it is time to slow down a little and allow yourself the extra time and effort to take a second look, as I did this morning.  Don’t be to hasty in making decisions based on that first view or impression.  You may come to see that there is real beauty hidden beneath the outside wrapping of the package you are observing.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.