Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Will You Jump At The Chance?

Last night as my wife and I were lounging on the couch, savoring a delicious slice of lemon meringue pie, I looked out the various windows around the room and joyfully commented on how cool this experience was.  When my wife asked for more details, I wiped the meringue from my beard and said “The daylight… It is still light out there!”  It was close to 7:30 in the evening and there was still light in the skies.  With the beginning of daylight savings time this last Sunday, our days are getting longer, which means the curtain is opening for the first act of the dramas of springtime!

If you don’t believe me, take a look at your calendar   The Vernal Equinox will occur at 4:21 pm PST this coming Sunday, March 20th.  On this date the day and night are each approximately 12 hours long.  (According to the Old Farmers Almanac, the actual time of equal day and night, in the Northern Hemisphere, occurs a few days earlier).  As the Sun crosses the celestial equator going northward, it rises exactly due east and sets exactly due west.  (http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons)

The thought of spring gets me excited.  This season of the year represents the ideas of rebirth, renewal and regrowth.  The fact that it begins when the day and night are equal in length is like the idea that we now get another chance to start even, with the opportunity to grow from there.  Next week the days will get longer, the temperatures will rise, the trees will bloom and the grounds across our land will demonstrate the birth of a new season, as all kinds of flowers exhibit their colors!

How will you choose to exhibit your colors this spring?  Will you keep the status quo, or will you jump at the chance of expanding your horizons… at the chance of personal rebirth, renewal and regrowth?  The scripture promise in Philippians 4:13 popped into my head this morning as I considered my answer to this question.  It says: “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”  (NIV)  The answer is clear to me.  How about you?  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.