Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What Are Your Favorite Things?


“Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things”


Don’t ask me why, but that song started going through my mind as I was completing my Bible study this morning.  Now I can’t seem to get it out of my thoughts!  I even had to look it up on the internet so that I could get all the verses right!

“Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad”


Maybe it is just one of those days where we need to take a few moments and reminisce on some of the good things in our lives.  In the Bible, Paul encouraged the church at Philippi to think on good things, while he himself was imprisoned and facing trial with his life at stake.  He told them that these thoughts would bring them peace. (see Philippians 4:8-9)

With all the problems, crime and natural catastrophes occurring in the world, it can be easy to find ourselves slipping into a hopeless state of mind. While it can be prudent to stay aware of what is happening around us, we need to make sure that the newspaper headlines are not what directs our thoughts, actions and most of all, our personal peace.

So when you find yourself becoming overpowered by some of the negative factions in this life, take the Apostle Paul’s advice and begin to remember some of your favorite things, and you know what… after awhile, you might just find yourself singing: "And then I don't feel so bad!"   Stay tuned and keep asking yourself...  “What am I expecting today?”






PS:  Need a pick-me-up?  Click on one of the "My Favorite Things" videos and sing along with Julie Andrews!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.