Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand?

While in the midst of my morning Bible study today I came across the scripture in Colossians 1:23 where it talks about the “solid foundation of the hope (better translated as ‘expectations’) that the Good News contains.”  (Gods Word ©)  I paused after reading this particular verse and began to consider how I have been writing posts on this blog for almost four months now, talking about the importance the “foundation(s)” in our lives.  Throughout this time I have pointed to the Word of God (ie; the “Good News”) as the unmovable footing on which I have entrusted my life.

What occurred to me was that many people believe in the Bible, and even consider it as the word of God, but may not have that same solid conviction of it’s immutability (see: http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2011/03/forecasts-of-rain.html) that I have come to depend on.  So I thought that it might be best to spend a few moments explaining my understanding and therefore conviction of God and His Word from which I base my viewpoint.

To put it rather simply, I believe that Christians can know the will of God, and once His will is known can put their faith to work for them in order to receive “everything we need for life and godliness” (2 Peter 1:3 Gods Word ©) and to accomplish the “good works that he has prepared for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10 Gods Word ©).  In the New Testament the Gospel of Christ (which tells of God’s plan for salvation as well as who we are in Christ and therefore how to live out this salvation to the fullest extent on this earth) is consistently referred to as “the Mystery of God” or the “Mystery of The Kingdom”  Jesus told those who knew and trusted Him that it was given unto them to “know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven” but to unbelievers “it is not given”  (Matthew 13:11 / Luke 8:10 King James Version)

The Apostle Paul made it even clearer to us in I Corinthians chapter 2 where he is talking specifically about “God’s mystery” (Colossians 2:1 Gods Word ©)  He quite pointedly states that this information is available to Christians in verse 12 where he says “we didn’t receive the spirit that belongs to the world.  Instead, we received the Spirit who comes from God so that we could know the things which God has freely given us.”  Paul also prays for Christians that God would “fill you with the knowledge of his will through every kind of spiritual wisdom and insight.”  (Colossians 1:9 Gods Word ©)  Peter, the leader of the original twelve disciples of Jesus, also relates this in his second epistle.  (see 2 Peter 1: 1-15)

Now, knowing and then receiving His will for us are two different steps!  This is where the lifestyle of diligence and consistency in the study and acting upon God’s Word come into play.  But, we’ll talk a little more about this phase of knowing God’s will tomorrow. 

Once again, Colossians 1:23 talks about that solid foundation that we can base our expectations of good happening in our lives.  It is on this “Solid Rock” that I stand, for when things appear contrary to what I see in His Word I can joyfully sing :

“My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds with in the veil.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand."

(“My Hope Is Built” / “The Solid Rock”  -  words by Edward Mote, circa 1834; music by William B. Bradbury 1863)

Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.