Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 25, 2011

Haunting Memories

Happy Friday everyone!  I think that we’ll spend one more day on the subject of “Joy” as we take a quick peek at the way we tend to view our futures.  While roaming through the Bible this morning, examining many scriptures where joy was being expressed, I came across a very interesting story.  It took place in the book of Ezra when the Israelites were restored from Babylonian exile and allowed to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the city walls and the temple.  This particular scene took place when the builders had just completed the laying of the temple foundation and the faithful gathered to give thanks to the Lord.  As the congregation began to shout their praises two very divergent points of view began to emerge.  Ezra the priest stated that “many of the priests, Levites, and the heads of the families who were old enough to have seen the first temple with their own eyes began to sob when they saw the foundation of this temple.  Many others shouted for joy.”  (Ezra 3:12 Gods Word ©)

What occurred to me as I read this was that those who looked at the future through the memories of the past were saddened by what they saw, while those who simply knew and trusted in the abilities of their God, looked with great expectations toward the future and were filled with joy!  This is a good lesson for us to learn.  Take a moment this weekend and look honestly to see what influences steer your vision of your future.  Don’t allow your past to take the drivers seat.

Now please don’t miss-understand me here.  Memories are a very important part of our lives.  The experiences in our past hold a major part in shaping us into who we are today.  We can learn a lot through our experiences in life, but the key is to learn the lessons, profit from them and then move on in our progression in life toward becoming all who we were created to be. 

There is another scripture in I Chronicles 16:27 that says that “strength and joy are where He is” (Gods Word ©), and that is exactly where I want to be!  When I am strong and full of joy, I feel as though I can overcome any obstacle that stands in my way.  With my eyes upon Him and in His abilities working in and through me, my future expectations are as bright as the ray of sunshine that just broke through the dark clouds and is currently shining upon me at my desk in my study!  You know… it feels kind of warm and cozy too!

Take that thought into your lives this weekend as you ponder what you are expecting to happen.  Is your expectation based on that immutable attribute of a strong and joyful foundation or on a memory of what could have been?  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”



1 comment:

  1. Very much needed today. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings - Dora
    http://pandorapoikilos.com

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.