Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, March 14, 2011

Is It Right To Celebrate Birthdays?

I awoke this morning thinking about birthdays.  In past generations there were many religious groups that did not celebrate an individual’s day of birth.  They considered it to be a pagan custom.  Some of these beliefs still exist today.  I guess that I take a different stance on this custom.  Birthdays encompass a wide spectrum of milestones.  They celebrate the years of one’s life, the many accomplishments, experiences and lessons learned during that life span, no matter how long or short in duration, and they simply honor that person’s existence on this planet!

One of the scriptures that we taught on in yesterdays Children’s Church reminded us that we were originally created in the image and likeness of God.  (Genesis 1:26)  This to me, solidifies the whole idea of celebrating birthdays.  God in His all knowing, all loving benevolence, thought enough about mankind that He designed us to His unique and wonderful specifications.  There is no other creation in the universe that comes close to the intricacies of men and women.  Then, when man rebelled against his Creator and forfeited his access to Him, God in His ultimate love sent His only Son to act as a substitute for us.  He who knew no sin became sin for us!  (Second Corinthians 5:21)  If God feels so highly about His creation, then I think that it is only right for us to celebrate the time that we spend on this earth. 

Not everyone honors God and what He has done for us.  God is a gentleman and gives men and women the choice to reach out to Him or not.  Moses instructed the Israelites to choose whom they would serve, as they entered the promised land.  (Deuteronomy 30:19)  One choice would bring blessings while the other would bring curses.  Which choice would you make?  The opportunity still exists today.  As the knight in the third Indiana Jones movie said… “Choose wisely!”  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… ”What am I expecting today?”


PS:  You may have figured it out, but today is my birthday and although I don’t believe that my wife realizes the significance of this day, I want to thank God for the blessings that He has bestowed on me and on us in our wonderful marriage, as well as for the continued manifestation of her healing.  I also want to thank everyone who has expressed birthday blessings to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.