Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, December 3, 2010

What Are My Foundations?

Okay… so it’s another dreary weather day in northern California, which just means that I have to look at what’s inside for my personal production of sunshine!  This is where the foundations  that I mentioned in the last few posts comes into play.  These foundations have a direct correlation to your personal expectations each day.  When I was attending Bible school a few years back, I had to prepare and then give a sermon for my Pastor’s Lab class.  Since I attended Bible school after many years in active ministry I was not a novice at this task yet, I was still a little nervous and wanted to do a good job.  So I endeavored to not leave any stone unturned as I prepared for the assignment.  It turns out that I was led to preach on expectations and faith as outlined in the book of Hebrews chapter eleven verse one.  In one Bible translation the beginning of this verse states that “Faith assures us of the things that we expect…” (God’s Word©)  Since most other translations interpret the word expect  as hope.  I was intrigued to find out the correct usage of the word.  It turns out that expect  is the better translation.  This finding put a whole new twist on my understanding of the verse as well as of receiving things in faith in general.  So what was so new about this revelation?  According to Mr. Webster, if you are basing what you are believing for on hope, you are standing on pretty flimsy ground. He defines the difference between hope and expectation in the following words: “Expectation differs from hope. Hope originates in desire, and may exist with little or no ground of belief that the desired event will arrive. Expectation is founded on some reasons which render the event probable.” (Webster 1828 dictionary)  

Well, you’ll be happy to know that the sermon that I entitled “What Are You Expecting?”  was well received by my classmates (and more importantly by the instructor!), and it acted as a catalyst to have me look at everyday of my life in a brand new way.  The question of what am I expecting and why  began to preface every situation that I faced.  I needed a foundation that was consistent, unshakable and true.  As I mentioned yesterday, I found it in the word of God.  (if you’re interested look in the Bible at John 17:17, Psalm 119:160, Psalm 27:5 and Matthew 7:24 – for starters!)

As you begin to settled into the events and groove of the weekend, take a little time and begin to think about what you have been basing the results of your expectations on.  Is your foundation like shifting sand or as solid as a rock?  You might be surprised at what you discover.  We’ll talk more about this next week.  Have a great weekend!  ...Stay tuned and keep asking yourself: “What Am I Expecting… Today!”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.