Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Trusting In Something Greater Than Yourself

As I looked at the weather forecast today I noticed that in whatever part of the country our kids are living in, it is either cloudy and cold or raining and cold!  Doesn’t do much to energize one in the middle of the week does it?  What is your attitude about Wednesdays?  In many of the places that I have worked through the years, Wednesdays were usually the worst day of the week for my co-workers.  If they could make it through “Hump Day” then they were half way through the week until the weekend!  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  For many people, their thoughts and plans for the weekend is the life vest that carries them through the drudgery of the work week.

Yesterday we discussed enjoying each part of your day.  Today let’s look at enjoying everyday of the week.  Everyday can have something in it that can be meaningful and pleasant for you.  Once again, it all depends on what you are expecting to happen.  I remember a lesson that I learned many years ago while taking an economics class at the Santa Rosa Junior College.  I have to admit that I just didn’t understand what the professor was trying to teach us.  When the time came for the final exam I was in a panic as I did not want to end up with failing grade.  My wonderful girlfriend (who’s now my wife!) came to my rescue as she shared a scripture with me about casting all my cares upon the Lord because He cares for me (I Peter 5:7).  She told me that I needed do my best in studying for the exam and that He would do the rest.  Well, her counsel worked for I had a peace that helped to set aside my fears as I studied and began to have some revelation about the subject material.  When the day of the test came I walked courageously into the auditorium, opened up the test booklet and went (somewhat) confidently through the test.  I am happy to report that I passed the test and received a “C” as a final grade.  Considering how I struggled with that class, the final grade was like an “A” to me! 

So what’s my point?  I learned the importance of placing my trust in a higher source.  One whom I have increasingly come to depend on for the results of every situation in my life.  When I put my trust in Him for that economics test, my expectations of passing the class soared from utter impossibility to the real possibility of success!  Why?  Because I was no longer depending on my own limited understanding, but on The One  whom I believe knows all things!  I may not always have a clear idea of  what each day of the week may hold, but I do know that the promises in God’s Word say that good things will happen as I continue to put my trust in Him.

So it’s raining, cold, wet and miserable outside… so what… I still have high expectations that good things will happen for me today!  What about you?  What if you have some tough things facing you on the job today, or an exam or presentation at school?  What are you basing your expectations on?  What is the foundation that you have to help you through the situations in your life?  Are you living a guessing game, or do you have that same peace that goes beyond your understanding (Philippians 4:7) that a 19 year old kid received back in 1973?  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.