Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Love Never Fails

I learned a lesson last night that I thought I’d share with you.  It has to do with our two familiar subjects of foundations and change. I had to get up in the middle of the night and help my wife on numerous occasions.  During the last time, which occurred about 4:45 AM, I felt a strong sense of anger rising up inside of me.  This is an unusual emotion for me as I am known to be a fairly relaxed and mellow individual.  When I completed the task at hand and was returning to the warmth of the covers, I began to pray and ask what that feeling was all about.  What immediately came to my inner thoughts was that I was thinking strictly about myself.  I was more concerned about my own inconvenience than the struggle that my precious wife has to deal with on a daily basis.  With that revelation, the anger in me quickly dissipated and I fell into a fitful sleep.

When I dragged myself into my study a few hours later, clutching a much needed cup of coffee, my eyes were drawn to my Bible which I had left open to Psalms 18 the previous evening.  As I read the song that King David had sung to the Lord after being rescued from the hand of his enemies, along with a commentary on the first three verses, I was enthralled with the personal depth of affection that David expressed.  His relationship of love toward the Lord made me stop and reflect on my depth of affection for my wife.  I was reminded about the verse in the Bible that states  that Love never fails. (I Corinthians 13:8 - NIV).  Getting angry hurts everyone involved and usually results in complete failure.  Responding in love fosters a healing environment that will always succeed.  This scripture is talking specifically about the God kind of love.  Which brings us right back into the realm of our foundations. 

I should and can act in love, even when it’s not comfortable for me, because my foundation assures me that His love working through me will never fail!  My wanting to reach out in anger is strictly selfish and self-serving.  Pausing to allow His love to fill me and guide my emotions opens the door for God’s success plan to be the blueprint of my life, as well as affecting a positive influence in the lives of all those around me.  Have you ever thought about what makes you act unbecomingly toward others?  Does your foundation need an adjustment or replacement?  Think about it.  I’ll share my lesson about change in tomorrow’s post.  Until then, stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.