Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, December 30, 2010

How Can I Turn My Dreams Into Reality?

Okay, be honest with me now… Did you take some time yesterday, to allow yourself the luxury of letting go of your inhibitions and dreaming big dreams for your life in 2011?  I sure hope that you did, because I began to let the creative juices flow, and I have to tell you, it felt good.  In fact, as I released my imagination without restraint, I experienced a real sense of freedom from the anxieties of everyday life and a deadening of the report that seems to be in each of us, that keeps bringing up the lie that stops us dead in out tracks by saying“it can’t be done”.  Do you remember that old commercial for the relief of heartburn that said “How do you spell relief?”  Well, in our case, the relief we are talking about is not a physical disorder, but a mental one.  As I initiated the planning process for 2011, relief based on my foundational beliefs, was spelled d-r-e-a-m-i-n-g.   

So, let’s move ahead with this.  Yesterday I introduced the process of planning daily steps that will help you progress toward the completion of each of your goals for the New Year.  One of the definitions of the word steps is to walk a little distance. So what we need to do each day is to walk a little distance toward our goals.  It is very important to keep walking and to do so with a definite destination in mind.  There is a scripture in the book of I Corinthians where the apostle Paul is, once again, comparing growth in our lives to that of his participation as a contestant in a foot race. He states: “So I run – but not without a clear goal ahead of me…”  (I Corinthians 9:26 God’s Word©) 

This verse brings me back to my illustrious career as a track star in Junior High.  I spoke a couple of weeks ago about some activities that took place as I ran the 220 yard race.  While in ninth grade, I also was a member of the 440 yard relay team.  The team was made up of four runners, each running a 110 yard sprint before passing on the baton to the next member of the team.  While it is important for each member to keep an eye and/or thought on the finish line, the biggest point of focus for each runner (except for the last runner) should be the member of their team ahead of them awaiting the baton.  So, you could say, that successfully passing the baton to your next teammate is like completing the daily step that you are taking toward the completion of your overall goal, which in the case of the 440 relay, is to have the last runner on your team cross the finish line... hopefully in front of everyone else!

After you establish what you would like to accomplish for 2011, begin to break each goal down into small attainable daily or weekly steps for you to work on throughout your race to the finish line.  Write down your final goals as well as each step on paper and then cross out each completed step as you go.  Post this sheet in a conspicuous place to act both as a reminder and encouragement to your work in progress.

In connection to the verse mentioned above, the apostle Paul also made the point to “Run, then, in such a way as to win the prize.”  (I Corinthians 9:24 Good News Bible©)  So, I encourage you to be brave, do your mental stretches and grab a pen, a hot cup of coffee, a sheet of paper and turn your dreams into reality!  Keep fine tuning your focus and be determined to win!  Stay tuned, and keep asking yourself…”What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.