Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 23, 2013

Who Will You Listen To?

I found myself up in the wee hours of the morning today praying for my wife and our lives.  When I paused for a moment, I sensed more than heard the Lord say to me that more than any other thing, this journey has been a lesson about His love for us.  And that lesson continued as I sat down at my desk and read from the book of Titus after the break of dawn.

Verses four and five in chapter four read: “However, when God our Savior made his kindness and love appear, he saved us…” (God’s Word ©)  This translation normally substitutes the word “kindness” for “grace”.  But that is not the case in this portion of scripture.  This time kindness is exactly what is meant in the original language!  The Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary relates the Greek for this usage as “goodness which manifests His grace,” while Robertson’s Word Pictures implies that it shows a physical demonstration or act of kindness.  It was hands-on proof of how much He loves and cares for you and me.
It would seem that Jesus demonstrated the Father’s love by giving up everything He had in heaven to come down and be like us.  Then on top of that, He suffered and died for our sins, for our sicknesses, and for our faults and weaknesses!  This would constitute a great inconvenience for Him, but Abba Father’s love overshadowed any inconvenience. I imagine that Jesus never even considered any of the potential downsides of His actions.  His love for us was all that mattered!
And you know what?  We – You and Me – have that same love in us!  Romans 5:5 tells us that “God’s love has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” (God’s Word ©)  That revelation this morning suddenly answered a nagging question that I have had for the last few years…
It has always surprised me when folks have told me that they are amazed at what I do for my wife.  My immediate response to these individuals has always been the same as I kind of dumbfoundedly have said, “Well, I’m just doing what I have to do.”  My thought was that anyone in my shoes would automatically do the same thing.  Sadly, I have come to find out that this is not always the case.  Up until today, I just assumed that it was my intense love for my wife that has caused me to do what I do.  But as I meditated on the above verses this morning, the Lord showed me that it is HIS love that gives me the dedication, focus and strength to do what needs to be done.  He showed me how my response to my wife’s needs is just like Jesus’ according to Titus 3:4-5!
Now, PLEASE don’t get me wrong here.  I am in NO way trying to slap myself on the back.  I am simply implying that as we spend time with Jesus and His Father, it is just natural for us to act like them!  And while I have received a lot of flak for many of the decisions I have made, and will continue to make, my only concern is for the health and safety of my wife.  I will take whatever accusations that come, but my ears and eyes will continue to stay focused on what my loving heavenly Father is directing me to do.  His is the only word that counts, because His love for me and my wife is greater than anything or anyone in this world!
How about you?  Why do you do what you do?  Whose directions do you listen to?  Have a good week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.