Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Acorns

As I stood on the patio a few moments ago watching the flight of a helicopter as it flew over our house, I became aware of the great oak tree that overshadows a portion of our home and side patio.  While I was observing its beauty and its majestic stature against the deep blue sky, I noticed that it is loaded with groupings of brown acorns throughout the breath of its branches.

The acorns in the trees have made their presence known to us over the last few weeks as the late summer winds have come up.  The sounds of them bouncing off the roof, the fence or the patio floor have slowly begun to radiate through the house.  From what I could see of this year’s crops, it looks like we’ll be in for quite a rainfall of the little brown nuts in the coming weeks as the fall season makes her entrance!  When I came back into the house I began to laugh as I told my wife about the abundant harvest of the oak nuts this year.  I told her that once the fall winds pick up, that we’ll definitely have to watch our heads!  I even joked that we might have to get the dog a helmet!  There were times a couple of years ago where the acorns falling from the trees sounded like we were under attack… and this year’s crops looks even more bountiful than that season’s!
Well, just like I looked up into that tree and could clearly see that we will definitely be “under attack” from the barrage of acorns falling from the abundance of oak trees in our community in the coming month, I know also that we will continue to see “attacks” or barrages flowing from the trees of the enemy of our souls that we walk under in the daily course of our lives.  And just like I laughed at the thought of those acorns pelting down on us and the dog, I can laugh at the thought of the lies of the enemy being tossed at us.
I Peter 1:3 in the Contemporary English Version tells us to: “Praise God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  God is so good, and by raising Jesus from death, he has given us new life and a hope (better translated expectation) that lives on.”  I can whole heartedly laugh because I KNOW that “God is so good!”  That we have a new life and an expectation that lives on.  I KNOW that the greater One lives in me (I John 4:4) and that no weapon that is formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17)!
The earnest expectation of His watching over me and of my ultimate victory in each rough situation that arises gives me the strength, the joy, and the positive attitude to go on!  The Apostle Peter told his readers that “Although you have never seen Christ, you love him.  You don’t see him now but you believe in him.  You are extremely happy with joy and praise that can hardly be expressed in words as you obtain the salvation that is the goal of your faith.” (I Peter 1:8-9 God’s Word ©)
It’s hard not to get excited when you read about that kind of faith!  I can’t say that my day started out on a real joyful note this morning, but after a few moments of reading Peter’s encouraging words, I had a smile on my face and a praise on my lips.  Then when I went in to help my wife to get up and I saw her smile in response to the silly song of praise that I was making up as I went along… well… things can’t get much better than that!
So I encourage you today.  Know that God is so good to you!  Know that you have a new life and an expectation that lives on through every day and every event in your life!  Then let your extreme joy and praise leap off of you and onto those you come in contact with today.  Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD OUTCOMES am I EXPECTING today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.