Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

W-O-R-K

I worked under a Pastor many years ago who would always say that ministry is spelled W-O-R-K!  That thought has always stuck with me through the years in the various ministries I served with.  For me it was always a labor of love, but at times that love was stretched a little thin.  There were a few times with a few children, youth and adults where it was not much fun reaching out to them.  It was then that I understood the meaning of perseverance in ministry W-O-R-K.  It was in times like those where I also probably learned some of the biggest lessons of loving like Jesus loved.

Most of these situations turned out for the best, a couple did not have a story book ending though.  But I knew that I did my best and there came the point where I had to let go and let God do the rest.  I John 3:18 tells us that “we must show love through actions that are sincere, not through empty words.” (God’s Word ©)  Another translation says to “love not in word and in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” (MKJV)
It is interesting to me that when you look into the original language, this verse is literally telling us that real Christian love is not just telling someone in need your suggestions on what you think is best for them, or even speaking the Word of God to them, but also includes getting personally involved with them in meeting their physical needs at the time.  I think that is where the W-O-R-K of the ministry comes into play!  The word “deed” actually emphasizes the idea that it takes W-O-R-K to love others!  In other words it takes constant effort to reach out in Christian love.  Sometimes it is not fun or convenient and you may even have to toss out the excuse of “being too busy” and/or rearrange your schedule for the sake of others. 
Most of us would do whatever it takes to complete a task at our place of employment in order to please our bosses requests, so why would we not think to do the same for our heavenly boss – whose not really our boss but our loving, giving, full of grace heavenly Father!   His request for us to love others is pretty clear in the Word, and the above verse tells us exactly how to accomplish the request according to His definition.
So I would encourage you to reach out and physically touch someone today with the love of the Savior!  Don’t be one of the few who never ask what they can do to help!  Knowledgeable suggestions at the right time, in the right place can be helpful, but nothing demonstrates the love of Christ like getting personally involved in meeting the physical needs of someone who is hurting.  And sometimes that effort just takes plain old W-O-R-K!
I think one of the main reason I always enjoy doing yard and garden work is because at the end of the job, I could look back at the pruned bushes, the tidy lawn and the clean flower beds and see the fruit of my labors.  The same can be said for the W-O-R-K of loving others.  Sometimes that gleam in the eye of the one you touched with love, that smile upon their face, or the maybe the hug that is given you as thanks, can be the most rewarding moment in your life!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What W-O-R-K of love am I expecting to accomplish today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.