Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, September 9, 2013

Mirrow, Mirror on the Wall...

I had a funny experience this morning.  While I was kneeling on the floor near our bed at my wife’s side, reading our morning dosage of healing scriptures to her, I suddenly became aware of some motion in the mirror on my wife’s dresser across the room.  As I focused on it, I noticed that it was a reflection from one of the windows in the room, or so I thought…  It took me a few moments to realize that it was actually a reflection of a reflection coming from a large framed photo on the opposite wall that was reflecting what was happening outside on our side patio, down the hall on the other side of the house!  (Does that make sense?)

It turns out that what had originally caught my attention was a branch falling from the large oak tree that arches its branches over that patio and part of our house.  Then as I stared at the image in the mirror, I was surprised to see an arm and then the face of a man looking over the fence from the front of the house!  As the dog began to bark, I finally realized that it was the tree trimming crew working on the oak tree!  About that time the doorbell rang and as I opened it, the crew member asked if I could move the plants I had on the patio and unlock the gate so he could remove the debris from the yard.
What a way to start the day!  When I first saw the face materializing over the fence, I was a little tempted to get afraid with the fleeting thought of a home invasion.  But that imaginative idea quickly disappeared as my curiosity and confidence in the Lord’s protection took over.  I also figured that no individual in his right mind would jump the fence and try and enter a home with a fifty pound dog barking and throwing herself at the sliding door!  It actually never came to that as I think the dog recognized the familiar uniform of the landscape crew and didn’t really get very excited about the whole thing!  But nevertheless, that situation could prove to be very scary for someone living alone in their house.  It’s just the kind of fear that the enemy of our souls would like to wake us up to everyday.  And in some respects he does!
As I studied from the end of I Peter this morning, before the above incident occurred, I began to see that one of the greatest fears that the devil will try to put on us is the fear of not being good enough.  The fear of not being confident in who you are.  The fear of not doing things right.  I Peter 2:20 talks about enduring “suffering for doing something good,” (God’s Word ©) and how that activity is pleasing to God.  Then the rest of the chapter tells how to respond to any negative reactions from others toward you in this situation.  Verse fifteen assures us that “God wants you to silence the ignorance of foolish people by doing what is right.” (God’s Word ©)  Then it unveils what Jesus did when He was caught in a similar circumstance by informing us how He “left everything to the one who judges fairly.” (I Peter 2:23 God’s Word ©)
I painfully discovered that those few who had come against me in the decisions I have been making in the care of my wife, were actually telling me how wrong that they felt my actions were.  I was accused of being uncaring, unresponsive, of not taking responsibility and of not being very smart (the term “stupid” actually came up in one of the conversations they had with one of our kids!)  At a time when my life seemed to be crashing before my eyes as the love of my life was diagnosed with a life threatening disease, I suddenly – on top of everything else – was faced with a major attack on my confidence, my faith and my character.
As I was reminded of those terrible feelings again this morning, it suddenly came to my attention that there are many people that face those same potential fears every day!  Just as I was faced with the potential fear of someone breaking into our home this morning, there are many who face a lack of self-confidence and condemnation every morning!  The hard part for me to swallow is that many times, those lies are put on these people through the words and actions of insensitive individuals.
But, if you know that you are doing the right things, as I really felt I was in my heart, you can laugh at the Lord’s council in I Peter 2:15.  He comes right out and calls your accusers “ignorant,” and “foolish!”  Now who says that the Lord doesn’t have a sense of humor!
I’ll share some more thoughts on this subject throughout the week, but for now it is important to realize that God sees YOU through the BLOOD of Jesus and the atonement He made for you on His cross!  God sees you as who you are in Christ, not through the eyes of those who may wrongfully accuse you.  The most important truth to remember when you might be tempted to feel down or question if you are doing the right thing is that GOD LIKES YOU!  He is for you, and as you put your trust in Him, He will see you through every tough situation and decision!
He’ll even send someone along your path to encourage you, as He did for me over this last weekend.  On Saturday morning my wife and I went shopping at our local Safeway.  After I had put the groceries into the car and helped my wife out of her chair and into the front seat of our Buick, I turnaround as the lady who was loading her purchases into her Mercedes parked next to us looked at me, smiled and simply commented: “You’re a good man!”  I thanked her for her words and then fought off the tears as I sat in the car, stared out the window and let the meaning of her encouragement sink in.  Her kindness touched my heart, gave me a spurt of energy to go on and made my day!
I want you to know today, that our heavenly Father is saying the same thing to you today!  He sees you as a good man or women, boy or girl!  He only thinks the best about you and wants you to understand as Joshua 1:5 says, “No one will be able to successfully oppose you as long as you live.  I will be with you as I was with Moses.  I will never neglect you or abandon you.” (God’s Word ©)
We have some relatives who, through their actions, have seemed to have abandoned us in our time of need.  I understand now, that this is most likely their way of dealing with the situation.  But I take heart and am greatly reassured in KNOWING that the ONE who matters the most will NEVER abandon you or me... NO NEVER!  So if times get a little tough this week, think on that!  Know how SPECIAL you are to Him.  When you look into the mirror, look for His reflection smiling back at you!  Have a GREAT day.  Stay in tune to Him and His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.