Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Better to Laugh Than Cry!

Have you ever done something embarrassing and were glad that no one saw it?  I had one of the experiences late yesterday afternoon.  My wife and I had just returned from our afternoon walk and since I had some time before I needed to start preparing our evening meal, I decided to do something fun… like pay some bills!  My wife seemed to be content in her transport chair so I gathered all my paperwork on the kitchen table and pulled her up next to me so that she could be part of the fun.

I should mentioned that when we were getting ready to move back to California from Oklahoma, we made the (now as I look back!) rash decision to sell as much furniture as possible in order lessen the return load and save on moving expenses.  And since I was being promoted into a better paying position with The Home Depot, we figured that we could purchase the new items we needed after we settled into our new home.
While we sold the nice dining set we had, we did keep a small Scandinavian Designs expandable teak table and are now using it as our kitchen table.  It actually works well as our dining area is not that big.  We have been meaning to get a set of arm chairs to go with the table, but with everything going on since we returned, it has not been a big priority to me, until yesterday afternoon.  In the meantime, we have been using a set of plastic patio chairs complete with armrests.  They have actually worked well for my wife as they support her well and are light enough to easily move her in them if necessary.
Well, I guess that my wife didn’t think that paying the bills was very interesting yesterday, and ended up pushing her chair back until it came to rest against the couch behind where I was sitting.  After a while something caught my attention out of the side of my vision and I turned in time to see my wife standing up and falling to the floor next to me!  Without much time to react, I leaned out and in an attempt to catch her, one leg of my chair snapped and I plummeted to the floor along with Piper!  Some hero!  At least I was able to get my hand under her head before it contacted the floor, so I guess I did help a little!
After the shock of what had just happened and the pain in my hip subsided, I rolled over and checked to make sure that Piper was okay, and all was fine.  Then I looked up at the dog who was standing over my wife licking her face and suddenly began to laugh at the whole adventure.  Once I let my wife rest for a few moments, I helped her back up and then she also began to laugh! 
In the Old Testament there is the story of what Nehemiah the governor of the Israelites and Ezra the priest and scribe told the returning pilgrims to Jerusalem as they looked at the decimated city walls during one of their captivities.  In Nehemiah 8:10 they encouraged the people to not be sad, angry or feel sorry for themselves, “for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” (KJV)  As I replaced the broken chair with a new one and returned to my paperwork at the kitchen table yesterday, I reflected on that same verse while I pondered all that has been going on with us over the last four years.  I also was tempted to entertain the thoughts of feeling sad, angry and sorry for myself, but I just couldn’t bring myself to go there. 
Throughout all this time, our heavenly Father has continually demonstrated His unfailing love and His unquestioning grace toward us and there is no way that I was going allow myself to give up on His faithfulness!  So, I looked over at my wife and we began to laugh again!  And you know what?  I felt better.  I felt stronger and was very thankful for His protection and care for my wife and I.
In I Peter 3:15 the Apostle Peter tells us to “dedicate your lives to Christ as Lord.” (God’s Word ©)  I think that if He truly is the Lord of your life, then it’s easier to laugh when you get handed a lemon, or in my case a chair with a broken leg!  What do you think?  Sometimes you only have a few seconds to react or respond to a situation that quickly comes upon you.  And the choice you make can show where your heart really is.  When that happens… will you laugh or complain?  Will you rejoice or feel sorry for yourself?  I gotta tell you, laughing is a lot better!  Have a good day today.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting to LAUGH at today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.