Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Living With Expectancy!

You may have noticed that I talk a lot about having an “expectancy” in the Word of God in this blog.  This is born out of my personal experiences in my day to day life.  It is how I am able to face each day with hope (bible hope that is = an expectancy of good things happening based on the truth of God’s Word!), with a smile on my face and joy in my steps.  It is how I can look at the devastating changes in my wife’s appearance and normally sparkling and spunky attitude and see past the natural into what God promises about her future.  (see: Psalm 118:17)

Today as I read from I Peter 1:23, I gained further evidence that this “expectant” attitude is what God desires from each of His family members.  This verse declares that “You have been born again, not from a seed that can be destroyed, but through God’s everlasting word that can’t be destroyed.” (God’s Word ©)  The King James Version says it is a word “which liveth and abideth forever.”  And this is where it gets exciting…
Thayer defines the Greek meaning for “liveth” as “to live, breath and be among the living (not lifeless).  Active, blessed, endless in the kingdom of God.  Having vital power in itself and exerting the same upon the soul.”  In the original language Strong’s says that “abideth” means “to stay (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy).”
That tells me that the living Word itself contains an expectancy of the goodness and power of God in every scripture!  That’s why it encourages us when we read it.  That’s why it sheds light and life into any and every situation.  That’s why the one who trusts in it can be expectant of good things eventually happening in the midst of even the toughest of life’s situations and trials!
I had the thought this morning of how the Word in this context, is similar to our dog Mandie when we are out for a walk.  She may be nine years old, but she has the energy and attitude of a three year old!  Whenever she sees a person or another dog walking ahead of us she will begin to pull the lease as she strains to get to them!  It gets a little crazy at times when we are on a downward slope or getting too near the edge of the sidewalk as I have to fight to restrain her and keep my wife’s chair from going over!
I kind of lost that battle the other day!  We were walking along the lake when we were passed by two ladies with a small terrier.  Of course, both dogs wanted to greet each other and were pulling to get close to each other.  It was a funny experience, so when one of the ladies asked if it was okay to do so, I turned and let go of my wife’s chair for a moment and began to walk Mandie up to the other dog.  Well, I didn’t realize that there was a slight slope to the sidewalk and as soon as I let go of the chair it turned and before I knew it, one wheel went off the sidewalk.  Thankfully one of the ladies gasped which got my attention and I was able to spin around quickly enough to catch Piper before she slide completely out of the chair!  The ladies were nice enough to take Mandie and pull the transport chair back so I could help Piper back into her seat.  Talk about feeling foolish!   The one piece of advice that an older gentleman told me about living through my wife’s situation which was “to let go of all your pride,” once again came true that day!
But back to the Word…  That eagerness or expectation demonstrated by our pulling dog to greet someone and/or their dog walking ahead of us is the same type of expectation that the Word must have!  It is like it becomes so excited, so expectant of the goodness of God that it tugs on our hearts to get out and be activated by our faith in order to work in and for us!  Remember that God’s Word is no ordinary word.  According to our scripture (and many others) it is alive, breathing and active.  Once that expectancy gets released in us, we can’t help but to be expectant of the truth, power, grace and love of God working as we believe it and act upon it!
The expectancy inherent in His Word should cause us to be expectant and to live our lives in such a way as to demonstrate that expectancy in everything we do and say!  I would have to say that being a Christian is anything but dull and boring…  So I would encourage you to go out and spread that God inspired, God given expectancy to your world today!  Believe in His best and let Him do the rest.  Have a great end of the week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I EXPECTING today?”

1 comment:

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.