Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Things I've Surrounded Myself With

I guess that I am feeling a little philosophical today. As I sit here in my study contemplating life, I can turn to my left and gaze outside the window at the tree studded view upward to the overcast skies, down to the smartly manicured bushes, to the freshly cut lawns and the meandering pathways that grace our neighborhood community.  Refocusing inside the room, it is interesting to see the things that I have surrounded myself with.  Maps of the USA and the world where I dream of travel and ministry, pictures of hot cars like a black Corvette, as well as Mustang and Camaro convertibles, multiple portraits of my lovely wife on almost every wall, pictures of our kids, copies of meaningful scriptures, stacks of Bible research and study books (I really need to get some book shelves.  We sold all of the ones that we had before we moved back from Oklahoma and I have yet to replace them!), and a large collection of various Bible translations (a hobby I guess – I’m always on the lookout for great finds!).  Then on the wall near the door to the hallway is a printed flowchart of my vision for a local church ministry that burns deep inside.

It can be an eye opening event when one begins to honestly ponder the things that make their lives worth living.  I’ve come to realize that my dreams have been temporarily placed on the shelf as I have focused all my attention and heart on the care and healing of my precious wife. Sometimes (maybe like today…) I start to hear the distant verbalization of questions like “why?” or “what if?” or “what could I have possibly done differently twenty some years ago?” or “is this all there is?” emanating from somewhere deep in the back of my mind.  But I instantly come to my senses as I consider the love that God has for me and my wife.  I rest assured in the knowledge that He has promised us that “I will never abandon you or leave you.” (Hebrews 13:5 Gods Word ©), that He is with us wherever we go (Joshua 1:9) and that “in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.” Romans 8:37 KJV)

Refusing to give any ground to the voices of despair and focusing on the love that God has for you will quickly remove any doubt, under gird any weakness, and strengthen your faith as well as your physical steps toward the future He has planned for you to fulfill.  Like I’ve been writing about for a week or so now, it’s all about the Good News that He has for us.  So if you look around at all the things that you’ve placed around you, as I did today, remember to include the most important ONE who holds you tight in His arms of everlasting love.  All the other things have their meanings and place, but none will last an eternity and give you whatever you need, whenever you need it - anytime, any place.  And with that I will leave you today with His words of encouragement to “Be strong in the Lord and, in the power of His strength.”  (Ephesians 6:10 KJV)  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.