Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 6, 2012

A Strong Presence

The Doctor’s office in San Francisco that we have been going to is kind of like a one stop, Super Walmart for those with memory care needs.  The myriad of other doctor’s that we have been to would make suggestions but that’s about as far as it usually went.  In this office they will not only offer suggestions but if they don’t already have the resources available within their staff, they will find and connect you with whatever it is you require. 

After we had initially signed in at our appointment the other day, I noticed that one of the Social Workers we knew was waiting to speak with us.  After exchanging greetings and giving a little update on my wife as well as following-up on some of the resources that she had previously provided me with, she paused for moment as she was looking at my wife and said, “Your wife has such a strong presence about her.  I noticed it when she came into the room the first time we met.” We discussed that for a few moments and then went off to the waiting room as our Doctor was not yet available.

When we walked into the crowded room a lady at the far end of the room immediately stood up and offered her seat and the empty one next to it for us.  I thanked her profusely as she nodded and quietly found another seat.  A few moments later I noticed that my wife who was sitting to my right had glanced across me and smiled to another lady sitting off to my left.  All was still for a few moments when the lady suddenly broke the quiet din in the reception area and began talking about the weather.  After a few moments I discerned that she was speaking to my wife and I.  I acknowledged her comments and we talked briefly about were we lived and how the weather varied between our two communities.  About that time the nurse came into the room and called my wife’s name. 

As we stood I told the lady that I enjoyed our conversation and turned to take my wife into the inner office.  When we crossed in front of her she stopped me and said “Your wife has such a strong, sweet spirit.” I nodded in agreement, thanked her for her insight, and then went off to see the doctor.  I didn’t have much time at that moment to consider what had just happened and actually didn’t think a lot more about it until we had finished with our appointment and had taken the elevator down to the third floor underground parking garage.

 As we were walking toward our car I became aware of voices behind us.  When I turned there were two ladies who had appeared from seemingly nowhere talking to us.  We instantly began talking about the results of our individual doctor visits.  When we reached our cars, the two women made a point to smile lovingly at my wife, wished us the best and got into their ride.

As we rode home I thought a lot about the comments that the Social worker had made in connection with the two other conversations that we had had.  Suddenly it all made sense.  All the times, wherever we go when people go out of their way to talk to and/or assist my wife.  It’s not because of what she is dealing with, it is because of the strong presence of the Holy Spirit shining through her!  I know that I have mentioned before that she always had an outgoing personality and that people were drawn to her because of it.  But now, she is usually very quiet but yet still draws the same attention!

I believe that is because the power of the Holy Spirit is working a healing and a cure in her and that His presence can’t help but emanate from her very being.  Most people don’t know what it is, but they definitely know that there is something good there and they want to be a part of it!  When she does talk to you now, it is like the words penetrate right into your soul!

And you know… that’s just the way it was when Jesus physically walked this earth.  In His presence pigs spoke, storms were stirred up, some people got defensive while others got healed and/or delivered.  People were moved to seek forgiveness, to be generous and to act out in love.  As the body of Christ, we believers are now His representatives on this earth, and the Holy Spirit’s presence in each of us should cause similar reactions to those whom we come in contact with.

In my wife’s current state, she has no natural inhibitions that would stop the love of God from flowing through her to others. It just comes forth and most people seem to openly receive it.  How about you?  Are you free to allow the presence of the Holy Spirit in you to flow to others at any time, in any place.  Have you ever thought about how your physical presence in a room, in a store, at work, in a plane or bus, school or anywhere else affects others?  Do they go out of their way to talk to you?  Would they feel open to even consider that action?  It’s definitely something to consider.  I guess it is like that old saying from a few years back… “What would Jesus do?”  Have a great weekend!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What I expecting From Those Around Me today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.