Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Does What I Say Really Matter?

As I reviewed some of my study notes at the breakfast table with my wife today, I was reminded of an event that occurred late one night last week.  At that time I had awoken after only a few hours of sleep and found myself staring at the dark ceiling.  I was quite irritated as this had been happening repeatedly for months.  I finally threw off the covers and as quietly as possible stomped to the solitude of the rest room in order to sort things out alone with God.  After taking a few moments to verbally spout out my frustrations in prayer, a calming silence came upon me as I saw and heard my self like a HD movie being shown on our flat screen TV.  It was a scene from the previous day.  In it I was in our kitchen talking to a friend on the phone saying, “Yeah, I just don’t sleep very good anymore!”  As this played in my mind a familiar voice from deep inside said to me, “You know Jim, you’ve been saying that a lot lately!”

I have to admit that I was a little taken back as the movie scene disappeared and an eerie blue shadow from our night light was cast upon the reflection my face in the mirror over the sink.  As I looked deeply at my image, I knew in an instant that what I heard was correct.  Those words had become a common complaint that I had repeatedly voiced to whoever would listen.  In the space of only a few seconds I saw the folly of my ways, and decided to make some changes in the words that I spoke.

The Biblical truth that sent me on that ride down memory lane was in 2 Thessalonians 2:17.  In this part of his second letter to the church at Thessalonica, Paul is talking about God’s love and kindness.  He said, “May he encourage and strengthen you to do and SAY everything that is good.”  (Gods Word ©) God desires that we do and SAY only those things that are beneficial to our own lives as well as to those to whom we come into contact with.  The Bible speaks a lot about the importance of our words.  Proverbs 18:21 says that “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love to talk will have to eat their own words.”  (Gods Word ©)  In Mark 11:23 Jesus taught that if you believe what you say it will come to pass!  That’s a pretty convincing argument.

My wife always acted as my mouth guard.  She had this cute saying whenever she noticed that I was beginning to say things that could reap negative rewards.  Immediately after I would utter the words she would lean her head one way or the other, give me that wonderful sideways grin of hers and say (and not always real gently either…) “That’s your confession and I believe every word of it!”  Then she would turn and walk away.  I have to tell you, it would work EVERY time.  After a few steps she would usually stop and look back and then laugh at my look of chagrin!  During that late night adventure a few days ago, I realized that now that she in not able to be the voice of my conscious, that at 58 years old, I have to take responsibility for myself!  I have to be aware of the confessions that I make.  The Bible says that I have the power to choose life or death!  To say things that will benefit me, or words that will bring me down.  Since that night I have made the dedicated effort to say that “I sleep good at night.”  And you know what?  I have!

How about you?  Have you ever considered what types of seed your words are planting in the good ground of your life?  In the natural order of things this is the time of year where we should go out and prune our trees and bushes in order to assure proper growth, form and fruitage.  It might just be the right time for you look in the mirror (without the blue cast!) and do some pruning in the personal garden of your own life.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting to CHANGE today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.