Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Late One Night

I talked a little about our Christmas tree in the blog yesterday.  I believe that I also wrote in an earlier blog about all that I emotionally went through just to get it set up for the holidays.  Well, I now have to admit that it was well worth the extra effort. 

I actually ended up not feeling too well over the holidays and missed the majority of the family gatherings.  Throughout it all though, I had to keep caring for my wife, so I sort of slugged it out and pushed on and finally made it to victory!

On one evening last week, I was feeling pretty exhausted and a little worse for the wear.  I had finished cleaning up all the dinner dishes, straightened up the living room, let the dog out (and then back in!) and had just helped my wife get into bed, when I turned and looked from our loft toward the living room below, and noticed that I had forgotten to turn off the Christmas tree lights.  So I pulled myself together and began to grumble down the stairs when the most beautiful sight graced my eyes.  Looking down from the top of the stairwell into the dark living room was our wonderful tree, all aglow with its tiny beams of multicolored lights.  That scene changed my whole emotional well being as I stood spell bound by the sight!  I’ve observed many pictures of gloriously decorated Christmas trees over the years, but this one, that night, as it softy set the atmosphere in our darkened home, seemed almost majestic!

I may have missed the planned family holiday activities, but this one, unplanned (by me at least!) event made up for them all!  I’m not sure how long I actually stood there mesmerized by the spectacular color display, but I do know that when I finally stepped back and continued down the stairs, that I had a fresh sense of His love, His joy unspeakable, and His peace that surpasses all natural understanding!

We have some good friends at our church, Doug and Sheri, who gave us that tree last year, and I have to thank them again, from the bottom of my heart for that vision from heaven that encouraged me late that night.  Who would think that God could use a simple, fake tree to be such a blessing! 

But then again, if He can use a tree, then He can sure use you and me to be a blessing to others as well.  Keep that thought as we begin this New Year.  Keep an eye open for someone in need.  Maybe you can be that brightly aglow tree in the dark of their lives!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (or WHO) am I expecting TO BLESS today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.