Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, January 30, 2012

Making Lemonade

Late yesterday afternoon my wife and I did a little grocery shopping and then took a leisurely drive into the beautiful country side just east of our home.  The weather was just perfect and the scenery was sublime.  As we drank in the intoxicating views of the lush green meadows that ran up to the side of the beautiful mountains, enjoyed the horses that abounded in the fields and looked with awe at the acres of grape vines that also stretched up to and onto any flat area available on the mountain sides, I was quickly reminded of why we live here.  I also took note that I needed to bring my newest son in law here when they visit this summer as a visual aid to assist him and our youngest daughter in their decision as to where they want to relocate when their stay in Oklahoma is completed!

As we drove down one familiar twisty mountain road, I marveled on one hand at how some of the homes and landmarks had not changed over the years, and then at the same time, at how many new homes, ranches and vineyards had been built since I last remembered driving that road in the mid 1990’s!  All those thoughts got me to thinking about the joys of our past and at what the future held.  I was reminded how a friend and I used to ride our 10 speeds along some of these narrow, winding roads for exercise and adventure when we were in High School.  Now I marvel at our stupidity!  (I’m sure our folks must have known where we were going.  They probably weren’t thinking about the shape the roads were in and the speed of the CLOSELY passing cars!)

This all came back to me this morning as I was pondering the last chapter in the book of Acts.  The story ends with Paul living in rented quarters, under house arrest while he “received all that came in unto to him, preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.”  (Acts 28:31 KJV)  This is said to be the only book in the Bible that is left uncompleted.  It is generally accepted that Paul was released from this detainment and went on to complete a fourth missionary journey before his death.  What I did not realize, until I read of it in one of my commentaries this morning, was that there was a group of early scholars who believed that Paul actually lived for another ten years following this time, and traveled into Italy, France and Spain.  (See: John Gill’s Exposition of The Entire Bible for Acts 28:30)

That possibility made me focus on the reality that one never really knows what good things our future may hold.  Just because you or I may be going through a tough period in our lives at the present, it doesn’t mean that God has given up on us.  His plan and purpose may have many more facets to it that are just beyond our plane of vision.  Romans 12:2 in the Gods Word Translation says to not “become like the people of this world.  Instead, change the way you think.  Then you will always be able to determine what God really wants – what is good, pleasing and perfect.”  So how should we think?  According to what the word of God says!  His word is His will for us.  As we keep our thoughts focused on His will, we will never grow weary and give up.

Most people today if they were in a similar situation as Paul’s, under house arrest, would have probably given up, drawn the curtains and sat all day entertaining themselves in front of the TV!  Not Paul. He shared the Good News of the revelation of Jesus Christ that he had received with everyone who came to visit, and in between visits took advantage of the down time to write some of the deepest doctrinal books of the New Testament.

It’s kind of like the old adage that when life deals you lemons, make lemonade!  So after much consideration about our future, I’ve decided to be like Paul and make the most of my time today, in preparation for what God has planned for our future.  How about you? A nice cool glass of lemonade might just taste mighty fine about now!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.