Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Giving Our Best...

A few more thoughts from the idea of giving His best that I introduced yesterday.  John 3:16 says “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only son…”  (Good News Bible)  From the very beginning God had our best interests in mind, so He gave the best thing that He had… the life of His son in exchange for our sins, our sicknesses and our shortcomings.  When Jesus walked this earth He demonstrated that same attitude of total commitment to those around Him.  He never complained, never said a bad word about anyone to those closest to Him, and was always willing to give of Himself.

As a Christian, can I say the same thing about my behavior?  Probably not!  Over the last couple of years I have found myself complaining about the way others have treated me and my wife. In times of tiredness, I have allowed myself to utter not so encouraging words about these folks to those that are close to me, and then there are times where I just don’t want to give of myself because I am weary, or not wanting to get hurt again or just plain selfish!

Does any of this ring a bell?  I guess we could shrug off these times by saying, “Well I’m just human you know!”  But then, so was Jesus when He was here.  He gave up His divinity to be like us but yet never gave into the temptations to lash out… and if anyone had good reason to do so it would have been Him!  The few simple persecutions that I have experienced are nothing compared to what He went through!

In John 14:12 Jesus tells us that “I can guarantee this truth: Those who believe in me will do the things that I am doing.  They will do even greater things because I am going to the father.”  (Gods Word ©)  According to that statement, we should be able to control our tongue, hold our peace and give to others whenever the need arises.  The Apostle Paul would be a great example to mention here.  He seemed to be a pretty fiery individual before his conversion, but turned into a loving and totally giving preacher when he came into contact with the King of Kings on that lonely road to Damascus.

So what do we do when we feel the urge rising up inside of us to give someone a piece of our minds?  We pause, take a deep breath and then call on the name that is above all names, so that the unkindness bubbling up will have to yield itself to and bend its loyalty to Jesus and His better way.  (Philippians 2:9-10) Then we end up giving them a piece of His mind!  (2 Corinthians 2:16)

God gave His best, so it makes sense that we should endeavor to always give of our best to others, whether it be in word, action or thought.  Have a great day.  See how many you can bless today, and then double that amount tomorrow!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (or Whom) am I expecting to BLESS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.