Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, July 7, 2011

When The Going Gets Tough...

I have to apologize for yesterday.  It was one of those unusual days where I was so consumed with taking care of my wife, that I literally did not have the time to sit down and write a post for our blog.  She was having a rather tough day, and although I got quite frustrated at times, the words penned by the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:6 kept coming into my mind throughout the long day.  In fact, it was the scripture that started off my morning thoughts even before I got out of bed yesterday…  “Never worry about anything…” (Philippians 4:6 Gods Word ©)

As soon as I pulled myself out from under the sheets I went down stairs, retrieved my Bible and fired up the computer so that I could look up that phrase in some of my online commentaries.  The explanation that really caught my eye was the description outlined in Robertson’s Word Pictures.  It stated that the “present imperative in prohibition” of the phrase translated “In nothing be anxious” in other translations (ie; ASV, RV,), is a command to “stop being anxious”.  The Present Imperative is often a call to a long-term commitment and calls for the attitude or action to be one's continual way of life (lifestyle).” In this case, to “continually, habitually follow this command” (Greek Quick Reference Guide. http://www.preceptaustin.org/new_page_40.htm)

So we are called, or maybe it is more accurate to say that we are “commanded”, to live a life without worry because, as the rest of the verse goes on, we “let God know what we need in prayers and request while giving thanks.”  (Gods Word ©)  Then His peace will guard us and keep our minds and emotions in check. (see verse 7)

Well, I am glad that I had that instruction before my wife got up yesterday.  Otherwise, I’m not sure how else I would have made it through the day!  The point to remember is that He is faithful to His word.  When all the physical evidence around you looks to be at its worse, we have got to focus in on the truth of what God is telling us, and thereby allow Him to work His victory into our day!

My wife and I had a close friend during our college and young married days who’s favorite statement was “When the going gets tough, the tough get going!”  That thought makes a lot more sense when you connect it with Hebrews 13:5, where the Lord is quoted as saying: “Not at all will I leave you, not at all will I forsake you, NEVER!” (Literal Translation of the Holy Bible).  We can get as tough as we need to be in any situation because the Greater One, is always with us, always strengthening us, always guiding us, and always loving us!

Wow… that revelation makes me want to open up the front door and start singing the chorus to that powerful hymn “Oh victory in Jesus, my Savior for ever…” (Words and music by Eugene Monroe Bartlett, 1939)  Let that tune reign in your heart today! 

Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (GOOD THINGS) am I expecting today?”


PS:  Can’t remember the tune?  Click on the YouTube link and sing along!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.