Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Times of Refreshing

Yesterday was one of those text book northern California days.  My wife and I had gone over to my folks for a barbeque late in the afternoon, had a great time and then packed up and headed out the door a little after 7:00 pm.  It had been a beautiful and warm Fourth of July… maybe even on the hot side for our neck of the woods!  But, as we stepped out onto my parent’s driveway, the cool air that blows in from the ocean (about forty five minutes, and a small mountain range away) had begun to flow in and dissipate the tang of the heat that still lingered.

Ah… my wife and I stopped near the side of our Suburban and just soaked in the cool breeze!  It was so refreshing and simply renewed my question as to why people would want to live anywhere else!  (I also had to send up a quick prayer for my two kids who live in Oklahoma.  I knew that it had been hot and humid there, and at 9:00 pm their time, it probably had not abated at all!)

On the short trip home, I began to compare the typical cool evening breezes common to our locale, to the refreshing that comes every time we read the word of God.  Acts 3:19 says that “times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.”  (King James Version)  His word has the uncanny ability to instantly bring relief from the heat, stress, anxiety or any other problem that may be causing you difficulty in your life.  Philippians 2:16 and I John 1:1 both refer to the Word as having life, and it is that life that refreshes and restores our beings.

So – okay… maybe the temperatures won’t be cooling down any time soon where you live.  But know that you don’t have to rely on the weatherman’s predictions for your refreshing!  The real cooling breeze is available 24/7, and is as close as your Bible!  Take some times of refreshing throughout the day today.  Soak in the “word of life” (Philippians 2:16 and I John 1:1 KJV) and allow His cooling sensations to permeate you physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (GOOD THINGS) am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.