Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Party!

So… be honest with me.  How many of you who read yesterday’s post stopped and shouted out: “GREAT!” when you were done?  If you didn’t do it, take a moment now, read the short post and then shout it out!  It’s good to give praise to our God, and I can’t think of anyone or anything that is GREATER than He!

Speaking of GREAT  I concluded my study time this morning by reading Nehemiah 8:10 where it says to “Go, eat rich foods, drink sweet drinks, and send portions to those who cannot provide for themselves.  Today is a holy day for the Lord.  Don’t be sad because the joy you have in the Lord is your strength.”  (Gods Word ©)  What particularly caught my eye and sent my imagination soaring was Adam Clarke’s commentary for the phrase “the joy of the Lord is your strength.” (The commentary is written to go along with the King James Version).  He states: This is no gluttonous and drunken festival that enervates (or weakens) the body, and enfeebles the mind: from your religious feast your bodies will acquire strength and your minds power and fervor, so that you shall be able to Do His will, and to do it cheerfully.”

Now while I understand that this particular verse was actually speaking of having a physical feast with rich foods and sweet drinks, in my mind’s eye I immediately saw a vision of a church service where the Holy Spirit was moving and the people were saturated in His anointing.  They were laughing, praising and loudly celebrating the Lord’s presence in their midst.  This may seem a little foreign in some church services, but the Bible makes it clear that this is what happened to the 120 who were in that upper room when the Holy Spirit descended upon them.  They were so loud that people from all over the city came to see what was going on!  And if remember correctly, some 3000 people got saved that day! (see Acts 2:1-41)

This picture also got me to thinking about our personal times with the Lord.  We could have a feast in His presence everyday, in the privacy of our own homes!  Just think about that!  Walking into His banquet room and partaking of the richness (or fat – KJV) of the Lord, and drinking in the sweet waters of the Holy Spirit!  Then, when you’re done you go out and bring your overflow to those with whom you come in contact with throughout the day!

Remember now, I did say that my imagination went soaring when I read that verse!  But why not?  While the world says that its okay to party and to eat and drink the things that will end up weakening your body, we can party everyday and eat and drink of the presence of the Lord and end up strengthening our bodies, minds and spirits AND have plenty more to give to others!  Sounds like a GOOD time and a GOOD deal to me!

What do you think?  Let that soak in and then reconsider my recommendation to shout “GREAT!”  Who cares if your neighbors hear you.  If they come over to see what’s going on, invite them in to share in your party!  Oooh!… sounds like a church growth program to me!

Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.