Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 1, 2013

Auto Focus Lenses

I think that the Lord is trying to show me something!  For the last month or so, I just can’t seem to get passed the first few pages in the book of Colossians.  Each morning as I plop myself down into my cushy desk chair I glance over at the various open bibles strewn across my side bench next to my computer and I am instantly drawn to the town of Colossae and the letter that Paul wrote to the church there.

Even though Paul had heard countless good reports about the love and compassion of their growing church, he was concerned about some confusing teachings that were sneaking their way into the congregation.  False teachers had come in and were adding a system of “Do’s and Don’ts” to the simplicity of the teaching of Jesus.  By doing so they were diluting the church’s focus and faith in the Lordship of Jesus in their daily lives.

As I read from Colossians chapter three today, I could see how I had been fighting the same battle!  Over the past year I have purposely taken a step back and out of many of the activities and relationships that have consumed me for much of my adult life.  In some respects it was like breaking a habit by going it cold-turkey!  After the initial shock was over, I could clearly see that it was purposed of the Lord and has been one of the greatest times of personal education in my life!
Sometimes we can get so involved in the events of our daily lives that we lose our personal understanding of what the truth really is.  Colossians 3:1 encourages us to “focus on things that are above – where Christ holds the highest position.” (God’s Word ©)  The rest of the chapter (in fact the entire book of Colossians) points the reader to the completeness of Jesus.  Not to His abilities, not His power, but simply to Him! 
I have come to learn that we will sometimes give so much attention to what He can do for us, that we lose personal touch with Him as Savior and Lord.  Paul was imploring the church to simplicity!  It is as if he were pleading with them to get back to their first love.  To simply focus on their personal relationship to Jesus and then the results of His abilities would follow in and through their lives!
One of the main lessons that I have learned throughout the dramatic change of events in our lives in the last four years, has been that the individual who is really in personal tune to the love of Jesus, will be in tune to the needs of His people.  Our intimate involvement with Him will just naturally rub off through our lives to others as we are drawn to reach out to those around us.
Paul wrote that “Whatever you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus as you give thanks to God the Father because of him.” (Colossians 3:17 Contemporary English Version)  I think that we should do it this way without even knowing that we are doing it, because we are so wrapped up in and confident with His love for us, that we naturally respond in kind!
I have different lenses for my DSLR camera that are equipped for auto focus.  But there are times when I have to switch to the manual mode in order to clearly capture the exact point of focus that I desire to photograph.  Today I have switched off the auto focus in my mind’s eye in order to clearly re-capture my total attention on Jesus.  How about you?  How is your focus set?  Have a great week.  Stay in tune to God’s Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting TO SEE today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.