Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 22, 2013

Exuberance!

As my wife and I were walking around our little community yesterday afternoon, I was simply smitten by the gorgeous views everywhere that my eyes seemed to settle upon!  I know that I have mentioned this before, but I feel so blessed to live where we reside at this time.  And as you may recollect, it was His doing that got us here in the first place!

When we moved back to California after three years in Oklahoma where I attended Bible School, we temporarily moved in with my folks while I got settled in my new job as a supervisor with a traveling merchandising team for The Home Depot in multiple stores in the Bay Area around San Francisco.  The plan was to stay with them for a few months and then find a home to rent.  Well, it’s kind of a long story but when the time table was unexpectedly moved up, we went to the Lord for assistance.
In one of our early jaunts near the location of my folk’s home, we drove through the small, planned community were we now live.  Both my wife and I liked the neighborhood and mentioned how we’d love to live there.  When the outside pressure arose to move quicker than we had originally planned, I mentioned to our oldest daughter who was living in Stockton, California at the time about the place we liked.  Later that night she went on Craig’s List found a place for rent in the aforementioned community, emailed the owners and called me back.  The next day (Friday) I got a call from the owner, met with him at the house later that afternoon and received the approval call two days later!  And on top of that, all the finances also came together so we could begin moving within a week!
With everything going on with my wife’s health and the constant pressures involved with her care, our daily walks amongst the tall pines, towering redwoods, green lawns, beautiful lake and even the crabby goose who likes to go after our dog! (until she turns on him!!!), bring an instant peace and serenity to my being!  As we sat at one of the benches around the lake yesterday, I found myself contentedly staring at the trees swaying in the gentle afternoon breeze and commented to my wife that I am so happy that we did not allow the pressure from a few miss informed folks to dissuade us from staying here.
Earlier today I read from Ephesians 4:13 where it was talking about the fivefold ministry gifts and their responsibilities to the body of Christ, saying: “…until we measure up to Christ, who is our standard.” (God’s Word ©)  After copying the verse into my notes, I began to consider the foundation that Christ used as His standard.  After mentally reviewing the context of chapters three and four that I had been reading, I realized that the foundation of Christ’s standard is love and grace!  Then I heard the little voice inside me say, “it is always best to err on the side of grace.”
Love and grace, love and grace!  Those are the unshakeable pillars of the standard that we are to attain to and on which we are measured.  Love will always put you on the same page with those you attempt to reach out to!  In my experience above, love would have trusted in the Lord for our decision to move where we did and get all the information before making a judgment against us.  Love will always prove out on the side of truth when you are patient and trusting in Him!
Love is an exuberant action that causes you to let go of your own preconceived ideas and will hook you up to God’s standard.  It is kind of like our dog’s exuberance toward my wife this morning.  Piper was very quiet and not real receptive to my boisterous singing this morning so I immediately toned it down and gently ministered the Word to her as I attempted to get her up.  In the midst of all this the dog came trotting into the room wagging her tail so hard that her whole body was contorting with its movements.  It was almost as if she had a huge smile on her face and couldn’t contain her exuberance at seeing us first thing in the morning!  She took one look at me kneeling at my wife’s side and wanted in on the action.  She proceeded to jump on the bed, clumsily straddled my wife’s prone body and vivaciously began licking her face!
At that moment she was a visual symbol of Christ’s exuberant love toward my wife!  As the dog has gotten older she usually doesn’t just jump into action first thing in the morning.  She usually will stay her distance for a few moments and then roll over on her back and bark before coming up to us.  Today’s actions were as if she put aside her own thoughts and/or routine and immediately jumped in to spread the love that was needed at the moment!
Mandie decided to err on the side of grace, to put aside self and do what she thought was best for Piper (and what she knew Piper enjoyed!)  Love always puts other’s needs first, no matter what you may think they really need!  Mandie’s exuberance was exactly what my wife needed to get her going today!  God’s love always gets one going!  Try to share some of His love with someone today.  And while I wouldn’t suggest jumping on top of them and licking their face, a simple smile or an encouraging word just might do the trick!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.