Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rebel With A Cause!

As my wife and I along with our panting pooch were going for a walk in the heat of the late afternoon yesterday, I suddenly recalled a conversation I may have mentioned in past blogs. It was comprised of an email discussion I had with an old friend concerning our early Parochial School memories of Jesus.  Although we were in different classes, we had both attended the same Catholic school in our early elementary years.  My family then moved to the other side of town after I was in second grade, and I continued my Parochial education in the rival school across town!

In our conversation I mentioned that in my youth, I always saw Jesus as kind of a “Mystery Man.”  Whenever His name came up in school or church there was a great ceremonial reverence demonstrated toward Him (ie; bowing of the head, making the sign of the cross) by the priests and nuns, but little seemed to be directly taught to us kids about Him.  In my memory, there was always a lot more talk and instruction given about God the Father, than His Son Jesus – except for the Christmas and Easter celebrations.
My friend, on the other hand, stated that she always saw Jesus as a “Rebel” in the way that He talked with the religious leaders of His day, as well as by the way He lived His life while on this earth.  And it was this tag of “Rebel” that got me to thinking yesterday!   
My immediate thought as we walked around the lake in the unusually hot summer weather was how accurate that term was for what Jesus is calling us to do in our daily lives today!  His actions demonstrated how we should respond to the negative situations that arise in our lives.  We are to be “Rebels!”  Rebelling against sin, sickness, lack, depression, worry and all the other unrighteous pressures that the enemy of our souls throws our way!
Toward the end of His time on this earth Jesus said: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27 KJV)  He was telling them as well as us today to "rebel" against the unrest and trouble that comes our way!  He established this truth through many Old Testament scriptures previous to His earth walk with statements including Proverbs 3:5-6 were it encourages us to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths smooth.” (God’s Word ©)
While Jesus was on this earth He experienced the intricacies of life just like we do today, but He didn’t let it govern the way He lived on a daily basis!  He lived and spoke of a different way.  The everyday people were amazed with the authority that He lived by and spoke with.  And that is the same “rebellious” way that He wants us to live our daily lives as well!
At the end of the books of both Matthew and Mark Jesus gave the authority to us to become successful “Rebels” in our time!  And not only did He give us the authority, but also the power through the use of His Word with the promise that He would “confirm his word by the miraculous signs that accompanied it” and “that I am always with you until the end of time.”  (Mark 16:20 & Matthew 28:20 God’s Word ©)
So… What are you waiting for?  Start the rebellion in your life today and live like the example He provided for us.  Be a “Rebel” for all to see and thereby experience the love of Christ!  Have a super day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself... "What am I expecting today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.