Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Age of Miracles?

I was doing some research for the blog awhile back and came across something on the subject that I was investigating written by a gentleman who is a Pastor and president of a Christian College.  The name of the school caught my attention as it was one that was frequently spoken of by some of those in the large homeschool group that we were a part of when my wife schooled our kids.

The group was associated with a nondenominational Christian School in our town and was made up of families with a variety of Christian backgrounds.  My wife first became associated with the group when she was the treasurer of the local Woman’s Aglow Fellowship, as one of Aglow’s leaders was also in charge of the fledgling homeschool effort and her husband was the principal of the Christian school.  In fact, on the night our oldest daughter was born my wife was experiencing labor pains while sitting at the dining room table totally focused on finishing the yearly Aglow Fellowship books before we left for the hospital!  It drove me crazy as I could not get her to go to the car with me!  But when her last column added up correctly, she triumphantly closed the book and said with a big grin, “Let’s go!” and off we went to the hospital where our daughter was born a few hours later!
Anyway… back to my research.  Since this particular school was always spoken of with such high regard, I thought that I would look up its website and take a peek at their doctrine of faith.  Well, to say the least, even though I wasn’t totally surprised, I was a little taken back at the vigor and detail that they went into concerning their disagreement with many of the Pentecostal tenets that I hold dear to my heart.  But putting that aside, the one standout was their firm supposition that the age of miracles stopped with the death of the last of the original twelve apostles.
Now while I understand that this is a common belief with a few denominations, it is one that I am completely baffled by!  I have been around too long and have personally witnessed too many naturally unexplainable miracles to say that God doesn’t do this anymore.  Especially considering that we are living in the age of the Holy Spirit and He is the power source of God’s goodness!
As I read from Ephesians 3:20 this morning, I was even more solidified in my belief that God is still in the miracle business and will be until Jesus returns.  In this verse, Paul goes out of his way (as he does in a few other places) to explain and define God’s ability to do “exceedingly, abundantly above all than all we ask or imagine, according to his power…” (combination of NKJV and NIV of Ephesians 3:20)  Paul was known to use double adverbs to qualify the verbs he used to describe God’s immeasurable power toward us who believe.  He witnessed God’s miraculous powers on a regular basis… just as many do today and others have throughout church history during the last 2000 years!
You know… come to think of it… if the age of miracles was over, then NO ONE would get saved, for the born-again experience is the greatest miracle of all!  So… I encourage you to THINK BIG!  Think like God!  Ephesians 5:1 tells us to “Imitate God, since you are the children he loves.” (God’s Word ©)  Expect a miracle!  Expect God to be God in your lives.  Expect the supernatural to occur for you, be it a supernaturally quick move of the long line ahead of you in the line at the local Department of Motor Vehicles (like what happened to a good friend of mine yesterday) to the healing of yourself or a loved one.  God is still in the miracle business.  It is the one thing that sets Him apart from anyone or anything else.
Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What MIRACLE am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.