Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, July 26, 2013

A New View!

I awoke this morning in a sense of disarray!  Have you ever started a day like that?  It can be disheartening if not immediately addressed!  When I sat down at my desk in the study I noticed that my computer screen was not showing a particular message that usually comes up first thing and lets me know that it is connected to the internet.  My initial thought was to click on the Google Chrome shortcut key and see if it came up with my Google homepage.  But as I physically moved my hand toward the mouse, I suddenly stopped and reconsidered my actions.

In the unsettled mood I was in, I realized that going on the internet before I got into the Word would be a mistake!  It would be too easy to get distracted and drawn into some news item that would most likely work to reduce my faith rather than work to build me up!
So, I completed my hand movement to my mouse, but purposely slid the curser up to my bible study program and clicked the left button.  As the program was opening up, I glanced down at the open bible next to the keyboard and read from Ephesians 6:10 where is says, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might.” (KJV)  Talk about instant re-focus!  It reminded me of the recent time when we were out for a walk and the dog went bananas over a cat (which she normally doesn’t do) and began to pull me and my wife in her chair down the incline of the sidewalk toward the black feline!
Even after the cat had run off around a house, the dog was still totally focused on giving chase.  I finally stopped our forward motion, commanded Mandie to sit and paused to untangle the leash I had wrapped around my wrist!  Then I gently took the dog’s face in my hands, turned her point of view to me, and looked into her eyes until I had her complete attention!  Once that was gained I informed her of who was in charge and where we were going!  After that she was obedient and even ignored another cat that slinked across our path near the creek that meandered along the particular pathway we were following.
When I read that verse this morning, it was as if the Lord gently took my face between His hands and redirected my attention to Him and His loving ways.  The disarray I was feeling left in a flash and I felt an instant connection with the Spirit of God.  As I began to study the scripture before me, I noticed how the various translations transposed the words “strong, power and might” around into different places within the verse.
From there I looked up the original Greek meanings for those words and began to see Paul’s command in a different light.  It came to me that the Apostle was trying to get us to think about the daily affairs of our lives from a VICTOR’S standpoint.  It was like he was telling us to “find your strength for all that you do in life through the dominion and authority that is legally yours as a child of the King of Kings!”
God wants us to approach every situation, be it positive or negative, with the knowledge that we already have the victory through Christ and all that He has provided for us!  This mindset will totally change your approach and or response to whatever you face each day!  Ephesians 6:16-17 tells us how to do this.  It says to “take the shield of faith with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked… and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God.”  (Modern King James Version)
As I meditated on these verses I was taken back in my mind’s eye to a battle field during Rome’s great days of conquest.  I saw the advancing Roman army put up their large body shields to protect themselves from the array of arrows being shot through the air from the archers poised on the city wall that they were attempting to take.  Then I saw the city gates open and the defenders streaming out with weapons drawn to meet the enemy.  The Romans immediately returned their shields to protect their fronts, drew their swords and began to whittle down the approaching army.  As the defensive attack lessened, the Roman soldiers moved forward into the offensive with their swords drawn and swinging from side to side.
This too is how we are to approach the battles we face.  Just as the Romans knew that they had superiority in numbers and equipment, we can know that God’s angels are supporting us (Hebrews 1:14) and that His Word in our mouths and hearts is the strongest, most high tech devil destroying weapon that the world has ever seen.
So close your eyes for a moment and then reopen them with this truth in mind.  I guarantee that you’ll begin to see everything in a different, more expectant and joyful light!  This way of thinking will give you a brand new passion for life!  Then go out and share that passion with others.  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What VIEW am I expecting TO HAVE today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.