Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Seasonings

Last night was one of those few times that I wasn’t too motivated to cook dinner.  Normally I enjoy cooking as it acts as kind of a relaxant for me, but yesterday I was tired and walked into the kitchen a little blank as to what I would prepare with the chicken I had defrosted earlier in the day.  Finally I stopped in the middle of the room and asked God for some inspiration!  Then I quickly remembered the red potatoes I had recently purchased and had the idea of mixing them with a zucchini I had just picked.

So, with a burst of energy I got the ingredients from the refrigerator and chopped them up on the breadboard.  After placing them in a baking dish with a splash of oil, I opened up the cabinet and looked at all the containers of spices and seasonings lined up on the shelf.  Then I let the creative juices flow and began shaking bottles with various ingredients over the items in the dish.  As the “piece da resistance” I topped it all with some grated fresh Parmesan and Romano cheese.
This morning as I read from Philippians 1:9 in S. Way’s 1906 translation of Paul’s letters, I was immediately brought back in remembrance to the shaking of those seasonings over the vegetable and starch I prepared last evening.  In this portion of scripture Paul says: “And this is my prayer, that your (God kind of agape) love may rise higher and higher to its fullest development in recognition of the truth, and in a comprehensive grasp of its application, thus furnishing you with a sure test of what is true excellence, so that you may remain untainted by error, unstumbling amidst obstacles, til the day of Messiah’s appearing…”
As I read this verse I imagined God’s GRACE as being like one of those spices that I used last night.  Except that His GRACE should be liberally shaken or poured over everything we do and say in our daily lives!  My personal experience over the last few years with people’s reaction to my wife’s situation has demonstrated that this isn’t always the case… especially with some Christians!
Instead of GRACE I received toppings of criticism and/or judgment over the different events and subsequent decisions that were quickly unfolding in our lives.  And in talking to a close relative yesterday, I realized that I was not alone in this reaction among family and friends when hard times come.
Jesus tells us in His Word that the greatest gift that we can share with others is LOVE.  (I Corinthians 13:13)  He taught this as the most important of all commandments. (John 13:34) His LOVE is demonstrated through our GRACE toward others… even when we might not agree with them!  Jesus put all of Himself aside so that He could meet and minister to man at his level.  He humbled Himself even to death for us. (Philippians 2:8)   In other words, He did everything for the other person, and not for Himself.  He seasoned everything He did and said with heaping spoonfuls of GRACE!  And life always resulted in tasting good to those He ministered to!
So what will be the one seasoning that you carry with you everywhere you go?  That’s right… GRACE!  It’s kinda like that powder that they advertise on TV that you shake on everything you eat and it enhances the flavor and helps you to be satisfied as you eat less and lose weight in the process!  So… be liberal!  Freely and copiously shake GRACE over every conversation and over every action you have with others as well as with every thought that you may think about them!  You’ll be happy with the taste of the experience and satisfied with the lasting after-effects of your seasoning in people’s lives.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What SEASONING am I expecting TO SHAKE on OTHERS today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.