Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, June 28, 2013

Refreshment

I received a phone call yesterday from a friend I hadn’t heard from in quite a while.  And I have to tell you, that it was sooooo refreshing!  He really encouraged me and helped to put a new skip in my step throughout the day.  As I was reading the Word this morning, I began to reflect on why that conversation had blessed me so much and I quickly realized that it was because we focused our attention on “where the action is” and that we were seeing “things from His perspective.”  (Colossians 3:2 The Message Bible)

Acts 3:19 tells us that “times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.” (KJV) Throughout this entire battle with my wife’s health, His daily refreshing has been the only thing that has kept me afloat.  I cannot imagine how anyone facing a supposedly terminal disease can make it without Him!  His Word is THE truth that dispels what medical science and many times what your own eyes scream to be the final word on the matter.
The entire rendition of Colossians 3:1-2 from The Message Bible reads: “So, if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it.  Pursue the things over which Christ presides.  Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you.  Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ – that’s where the action is.  See things from his perspective.”
I am in a place now where I like – and I need – to be where the action is!  And that place is being firmly entrenched in the promises of God for me and my wife!  I need to hear and be in the place of faith.  I know what the circumstances are trying to dictate, I know what the “facts” say, but I am relying on what God’s Word declares! 
Late yesterday afternoon my wife, and the pooch and I went on a walk around our community lake.  That is also a very refreshing place for me to frequent.  It is surrounded by towering redwoods, tall pines, green lawns and has the overall feel to me, of a resort in the Sierras!  Because it was hot outside I had changed into a lighter T-Shirt before we left.  The shirt was an old one that I bought many years ago at the Grayeagle Store while on vacation in Plumas County, California.  It is now very thin, well-worn and tremendously comfortable!
While out on the walk we met another couple with a Golden Retriever and stopped to chat while the dogs checked each other out.  At one point in the conversation the gentleman observed my shirt and mentioned that he liked Grayeagle.  Well, my face must have lit up and when I asked if they had been there before he said that in the past, they had vacationed there for 26 years in a row.  After sharing about my love for the area, I pointed to my wife and mentioned to them that I keep telling her that we will hike there together again!  They both laughed nervously and we said our good-byes and continued our walks.
I could tell by their reaction that they couldn't figure out how I could be so positive and had no faith for what I said, but I shrugged it off and smiled throughout the rest of our walk, as I pictured us hiking amongst the gorgeous views in the mountains of the Plumas National Forest.  Our faith is in the truth of God’s Word… how about you?  If there’s any questions, or any doubts, then I suggest that you get some “times of refreshing” in “the presence of the Lord.”  You’ve got lots of company from those in the past who have been refreshed in it and stood to see His victory in their lives.  Don’t forget about Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Jonah and the church in the book of Acts.
It worked for them.  I believe it’s working for me and my wife, and it will work for you!  So go ahead… get refreshed and then rejoice!  Have a terrific day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.