Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, June 24, 2013

Don't... Stay Cool!

I went out a few moments ago and measured the growth of our cherry tomato growing against the fence in our large patio.  It has grown over four inches since last week and is now less than six inches below the top of the seven foot fence.  I was actually a little disappointed as I was hoping that it would have grown more in accordance with the way that our garden has been expanding and producing so early in the season!  But then again, the weather in our area has taken a turn from the typical warm days that have been so prevalent as this summer season progresses.

Over the weekend the weather dropped by 10 degrees from the previous week as a weather front moved in off the coast.  In fact, as my wife and I were meandering toward the lake area in our housing community late yesterday afternoon, I suddenly realized that it was beginning to rain and that I had forgotten to bring both of our hats!  But since it was more of a light mist than all out rain, I decided to hustle out to the lake anyway.  And wouldn’t you know, as soon as we got there the mist increased so we made a beeline home, as the old Christmas carol goes, “laughing all the way!”  Of course, by the time we walked in the front door, the small disturbance had passed and blue sky was attempting to peek through the cloud cover!
I am sure that the cooler days and nights have slowed the growth and production of our vegetables.  As I read from Colossians 1:18 earlier today where the Apostle Paul is describing Jesus as the head of the church, the beginning and “the first to come back to life so that he would have first place in everything.” (God’s Word ©) I thought about how changes in the temperature of our daily lives can effectively “cool” our faith and devotion to Christ… effectively moving Him out of first place!
It’s easy to be excited about God and His Word when things are clicking along, when we have a vision and a gusto for life, and we’re just plain happy to be alive.  But then there are those seasons where we kind of lose our zeal, our focus and maybe get side tracked away from the vision of God and His plans for us.  During these times it can be easy to become slack in our daily pursuit of God, but contrary to how we may feel, this is the time when we should dig in even deeper!
This is one thing that I have to be constantly aware of as I care for my wife while believing for the manifestation of her total healing recovery as promised through the Word.  It is very tempting to stare at the negative symptoms of what she is going through, than to keep focused on what the truth of God’s Word says in contradiction to what my eyes may be observing.  If I hadn’t chosen to believe God’s Word at the very beginning of all this, I would have given up five years ago when we received the first initial (and incorrect!) diagnosis of what we were facing.
Well, my tomatoes may not be growing as fast as they were in the midst of this temporary cold front, but they are still loaded with fruit that is turning red and expanding in every direction from the relatively small pot they are planted in.  I am also assured that the weather will change as we will return to normal weather patterns in a matter of a day or two.  The plants will continue to grow, bloom and produce beyond measure… as will the health of my wife as we stand on the unshakable truth of God’s loving promises to His church who actively believe them to be true!
So… don’t let a little change in the temperature of your lives “cool” you off in your “standing on the promises of God!”  Keep focused – not on what you may see that is contrary to your stand – but on the faithful, loving Word of God for you!  Have a terrific week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.