Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, June 7, 2013

Italian Meatballs

2 Timothy 2:22 encourages us to “Pursue what has God’s approval.  Pursue faith, love and peace…” (God’s Word ©)  This verse goes right along with what I shared yesterday about how faith and love go together.  The apostle Paul not only reaffirms his convictions concerning the importance of blending these two Godly characteristics into our lives but goes a step further here by letting us know the result of this concerted action.  He gives us a simple equation that states: “FAITH + LOVE = PEACE!”

I believe that is what they call simple mathematics!  It’s kind of like “2 + 2 = 4.”  It is an equation that always comes out the same way – there is no getting around it!  Every time you add two items to another two items you’ll get a sum total of four items.  The same is true in God’s mathematics of life.  Every time you add FAITH which is your active reliance upon Christ to LOVE defined as God’s unconditional love for you and then through you to others you’ll get oneness, quietness and rest which is called PEACE!
As I considered this in my study time earlier this morning, I thought about my home made meatballs.  I also thought about my cousin’s meatballs which she has so graciously shared with my wife and I a couple times over the last few months along with a fresh marinara sauce and Penne spaghetti!  Yummmm!  But back to my meatballs…
I’ve been making my meatballs the same way for years and yet I am always amazed at the transformation that a few added ingredients make in turning the plain hamburger into delicious, soft and extremely tasty balls of Italian delight!  When I use the identical recipe of meat, an egg or two, basil, garlic (lots!), breadcrumbs (or to be precise, I use ground saltine crackers- believe it or not!), salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, a pinch of chili powder and then mix it all up by hand (I have to remember to take off my college ring before this process as it takes a lot of washing to get all the residue out of all its nooks and crannies!), form them into balls and then brown them in a pan with a little oil before placing them in the simmering pasta sauce for about an hour, they always come out fantastic!
The only other tradition I have kept up from my Mom, of which I am sure is a vital part of the process in the completion of the delicious product, is to take the last meatball that I have rolled and instead of placing it in the frying pan to brown, I toss it to the dog!  I have to admit though, that while our dog is a great pooch and companion, she is a rotten catcher!  So it is fun to keep track and see how long she can keep a record of catching the flying meatball going.  We were going for three times in a row when I last made spaghetti and meatballs a few weeks back but the carefully tossed meatball went through the air, bounced off her nose and hit the floor!  So we start a new count the next time I make the meal!
You can be just as assured that God’s equation of FAITH + LOVE = PEACE will come about every time just as when I follow my recipe without any substitutions.  The oneness, quietness and rest with God, yourself and then with others is simply a  divine experience like that first bite into one of my homemade meatballs that is drowned in a thick red pasta sauce!  It is a satisfaction that is unlike any other activity!  And like I said, it is a process that you’ll want to repeat over and over again with the identical results!  Remember… God’s Word always works when you follow the directions.
Therefore I would encourage you to put God’s recipe or equation to work this weekend and then let me know of the results that you attain.  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting when I add FAITH + LOVE together today?”

1 comment:

  1. Loved your food analogy. I've been studying in Matthew as of late and ran across some thoughts that might go with yours on God's recipe: 26:45 - "Sleep on now." 26:46 - Rise (get up!)up, let us be going..." There's a time to SLEEP and REST and a time to "get going" spiritually. In either case, we can be refreshed!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.